Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Charger Ports gets hot

• Please log in to reply

Nickey23129

Nickey23129

• Pip
  • 0 posts
my question is, what else could be causing my computer to get so hot at the port area and to refuse to charge on its own..it will stay in if i hold it in and it will even burn thru the plastic coating on the cord! could it still be the port?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

A little more detail such as the make and model of the computer - a laptop or netbook presumably, would be useful.

However if it is the standard official power cord and power supply for that laptop, then clearly something is very amiss, either with the connection on the laptop or the connection on the cable usually a female jack socket.
It may indeed be a fault in the laptop

It is not unknown for unbranded replacement power supplies for laptops to cause such issues.

In view of this, as you say

it will stay in if i hold it in and it will even burn thru the plastic coating on the cord!

it is I think rather urgent, that you stop trying to hold it in, and test the laptop with the standard issue power supply.

It seems unlikely I think that it is appropriate to borrow one, even if you could, as if the fault lies in the laptop circuit, it is possible that you may damage the one you borrow

With the best will to try and assist, this does not seem to be the sort of problem we will be able to solve through the medium of assistance on this or indeed any other site.

However post details as mentioned and is it a replacement Power supply or the orignal

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Nickey23129

You asked for help on 7 June.

Please respond when you get chance.

Advice was given within 2 hours of you asking.

Thank you