Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell inspiron power supply, maybe

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I have an Inspiron 518. The problem I'm having is that when I press the on button. My computer does not come on. The button light stays a yellow color and not blue. In other words,the only working in my pc is this light. I recently installed a second dvd drive. Could this be a power supply problem? If not, any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi rigs

Yes there is a possibility that there is a power supply issue, go back and check that all internal connections are secure, remove and then replace each one securely, if no joy disconnect the new drive and see if there is any change.

The specs show a stock 300W PSU as being fitted, is this still fitted and have you added any other additional hardware such as an add on video card or second HDD.

A bad MB is also a possibility but the PSU or an associated power cable are strong contenders.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
thank you for your response.....

I followed your suggestions and when I unplugged the 2nd dvd burner that I had recently installed. My system fired up. So, this means that my current PSU of 300w it's not enough to run 2 dvd burners, right? If I want to replace it. what is the maximum wattage I can replace it with? I don't want it to harm my PC.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

I asked previously;

The specs show a stock 300W PSU as being fitted, is this still fitted and have you added any other additional hardware such as an add on video card or second HDD.

What is the answer please!

You cannot harm your PC by fitting a more high powered PSU than is required as the system will only draw the power that it requires to run stably, you can however harm your bank balance by spending additional cash needlessly, please answer the above question and this will enable us to suggest the appropriate output PSU for your needs.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
thanks.......
If by fitted, you mean that if my PSU it's still installed in my PC? yes, my 300w PSU its still in my PC. the only thing that I have added was a second dvd buner. I now hve 2 burners and that's it, no Hdd or any other card.

thank you

Edited by rigs, 14 June 2012 - 09:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If by fitted, you mean that if my PSU it's still installed in my PC? yes, my 300w PSU its still in my PC

Yes that was what I was asking, thanks.

I now hve 2 burners and that's it, no Hdd or any other card.

A computer will not function without a HDD (it will read a disk but cannot store data) are you using an external USB type HDD?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I'm sorry but I misunderstood some of your postin. Yes, I have hrd drive installed and all the rest of what my dell came with....ie. vieo card, fax modem, ethrnet card..etc

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
A suitable PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139026
Please satisfy yourself that you have done all the testing and checking of your present PSU and associated cables before you purchase a new PSU.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
thank you......I will try

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok thanks and keep us posted :thumbsup:

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I finally saved enough money and ready to purchasse a new PSU. My question is, is the above corsair PSU that you recommended compatible with my Dell inspiron 518 desktop pc.

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi rigs

As per my reply #8

A suitable PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139026
Please satisfy yourself that you have done all the testing and checking of your present PSU and associated cables before you purchase a new PSU.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Bought and installed it about a week ago and pc is working fine, as of today. Thank you for all your help and patience.

Edited by rigs, 12 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad to hear that you have now resolved the PSU issue and thank you for the follow up :thumbsup:

As ever you are most welcome :yes: