Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-doing my build, any help apppreciated

• Please log in to reply

piki112

piki112

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys,
I decided to build a computer to play games, and I would really appreciate any help you would give me. I really want to know if all the components will work together (i.e. they're all compatible). I can't seem to find any reason as to why they wouldn't, but then again it is still my first time.

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower USB3.0

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 AMD 9 Series AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready

CPU: AMD FD6100WMGUSBX FX-6100 Processor - Six Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 6MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz (3.90GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 95W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready

RAM: Corsair CML4GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance LP Desktop Memory Kit - 4GB (2x 2GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, 240-pin DIMM, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Intel XMP Ready

Hard Drive: Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 2TB Hard Drive - 2TB, 5900 RPM, 64MB, SATA-6Gb/s

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive - 24x, SATA, Black, OEM

Extra USB: Ultra ULT40325 USB 2.0 PCI Card - 6 Port, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (4 External / 2 Internal)

PSU: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

I've already went out and bought the Motherboard and Case as they were on special, but the rest of the parts I would really appreciate if you guys could just confirm or deny if they work with each other. I don't mean to waste your time or anything, but if you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

~Jon

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi piki112
Sorry about the delay in you receiving a reply,
Your list is ok apart from the Ram, 8GB of Ram is the sweetspot for Windows 7 64-bit so I suggest you upgrade http://canadacompute...&item_id=048709 and your brand of PSU, see http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html A PSU for you http://canadacompute...&item_id=038034 has enough power to allow for a second video card should you wish to run Sli or add another HDD or two.
Below is some additional guidance for you;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

A cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

piki112

piki112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

A cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Thanks you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it. However I don't understand this bit. What would happen if I installed Windows 7 64-bit on a new motherboard from a non-OEM disc? I have no intention of doing it, I am simply curious. Would it be non-compatible? I know that upgrading to a pirated Windows 7 causes an "You are not running genuine windows" message. Could I simply reuse a windows 7 64-bit key I already have? Or does Microsoft make you buy a new copy of Windows everytime you upgrade? Once again, thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi piki112

You can use the same disk with a new product key, it is also less expensive.
And you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

piki112

piki112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys, a while back I put together this build:

I redid it and put this together:
AMD Bulldozer X6 FX-6100 (95W) Six Core Socket AM3+, 3.3GHz, 8Mb Cache,32nm
$144.99

LG GH24NS90 Black SATA DVD-Writer 24xDVD+R/-R 8xDVD+RW/6xDVD-RW 16xDVD+R DL 12xDVD-R DL 48x CD-R 32xCD-RW
$24.99

Patriot Viper Xtreme Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL8 DIMMs (PXD38G1600LLK)
$59.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready
$169.99 (Tiger Direct)

Seagate ST2000DL003 Barracuda Green 2TB Hard Drive - 2TB, 5900 RPM, 64MB, SATA-6Gb/s
$119.97

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W 80PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply (CMPSU-750TXV2)
$119.97

Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower USB3.0 (VN40006W2N)
$59.99

ASUS M5A97 AMD 9 Series AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready
$89.99

I already have the case and motherboard, so I do need to get an AMD cpu. Do I need 750W for a power supply? Are all the parts compatible? Also, I have a windows 7 disc (not OEM, just a burned ISO). Can I use the key that came with my pre-made (laptop) computer? Or do I need to buy a brand new copy of Windows 7?

Thanks in advance guys

Edited by Moderator

Edited by JSntgRvr, 07 June 2012 - 05:42 PM.
Broken link after merge

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I already have the case and motherboard, so I do need to get an AMD cpu. Do I need 750W for a power supply?

A reputable 80 plus certified brand name PSU would be a good choice for the current and any future upgrades.

Are all the parts compatible?

The parts look to be compatible with what you have chosen.

Also, I have a windows 7 disc (not OEM, just a burned ISO). Can I use the key that came with my pre-made (laptop) computer? Or do I need to buy a brand new copy of Windows 7?

Using the ISO is not a issu but you legally cannot use the serial number for the laptop since it was preinstalled on the laptop and is what is called married to that build. You would be much better to purchase a new copy and have it specifically for the desktop system. Also just a FYI I do hope you are installing the 64 bit version so that you get full use of all the memory you are purchasing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
For others who may not read the entire merged topic/s;
An explanation regarding the software license limitations was provided in replies #2 + #4 and at no time was the use of an ISO suggested nor did the OP imply ones use but did ask;

What would happen if I installed Windows 7 64-bit on a new motherboard from a non-OEM disc?