Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mic problem

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
On my XP desktop pc… I am having trouble with my microphone (part of a Logitech camera that plugs into the pc via a USB connection). Haven’t used the mic for a long time. I can’t record speech.

I see a mic icon in my system tray (near time); left clicking it shows “Mic is ON”. My speakers work fine.

Am I missing something obvious? Help appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You maybe - missing something obvious.
On the other hand of course maybe NOT

Check that the recording device is set for the mic on the webcam

Control Panel Sounds and Audio devices
Posted Image

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Hello Macboatmaster:

I have checked that.

How can I test that my microphone works or not? I think it is NOT working but I am not absolutely sure.

FWIW, here are some of the things I have tried that might throw some light:

My speakers work fine.

I used to be able to speak via Skype but that no longer works.

My camera and mic is the Logitech Pro 4000 and it is connected to my pc through a USB port. The green light on the Pro 40 is not on.

When I go to CP\Add Hardware and select Pro 4000 the Hardware Wizard tells me”The selected device is working correctly.”

When I click CP\Cameras\Logitech4000 the green light on the cama does come on and and when I press “take a picture” I can see that the camera is working.

When I Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment I see that there are no apps there.!?

A mic icon appears on my desktop in the right lower corner near the Time. When I leftclick it I get the message “Mic is ON.”

When I Start/CP/Sound and Audio Devices/ Audio the Sounds and Recording Devices Properties screen shows my recording device is the Logitech 4000. When I click the Volume button I get the error message “Windows can not execute SndVol32.exe. UseAdd?Remove Programs in Control Panel to install” – Install what? How?

Perplexed. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have the volume icon on the lower right of the taskbar

see this
http://support.micro...kb/319095/en-us

In essence this
To extract a copy of the Sndvol32.exe file from the Windows XP CD and save it on your computer’s hard disk, follow these steps:
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive. Press and hold the SHIFT key as you insert the CD to prevent it from starting automatically.
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • Copy and paste or type the following command in the Open box, and then click OK: cmdThe command prompt opens.
  • Type the drive letter of the CD drive or DVD drive, type a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, if your computer’s CD drive is drive E, type the following, and then press ENTER: e:
  • Copy and paste or type the following, and then press ENTER: cd i386
  • Copy and paste or type the following, and then press ENTER: expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exeNote system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located on your computer. This is usually C:\Windows. If the folder that contains the Windows system files on your computer is C:\Windows, type the following, and then press ENTER: expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
  • Note There is a space between "ex_" and "c:\windows" in this command.
  • Type exit to exit the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
  • Verify that you can start Volume Control

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Macboatmaster: I doubt that I can find my original XP CD. Is there a way I can obtain a copy of Sndvol32.exe via the web? ...batpark

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Do you have the volume icon on the lower right of the taskbar

Going back to my previous screenshot, what happens when you click the volume tab, as against the volume button on the recording device.

Go C drive, windows, system32 open that and see if you have sndvol.exe, listed.

Uninstall, the camera software from add remove programs. Reboot and reinstall the camera software, from either the CD if you have it or the logitech site.

Could you also work your way though this to save me a lot of typing please.

http://logitech-en-a...,2,4,5/cl/us,en

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Macboatmaster: Thanks for your help. Here are answers to some of your questions:

1. I do have sndvol.exe (in C:\386).

2. Following instructions on the Logitech material you sent I tried to test Sound Recorder but found that Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment does not show that I have Sound Recorder! I get “Empty”.

3. I do have a Mic icon in the right side of system tray. But I don't get any Volume Control there.

4. FWIW, if I go Start/CP/Hardware and highlight Logitech 4000 microphne I get message that the device is working ok.

5. FWIW, if I do a sound check in Skype I can hear the Skype operator fine but I do not hear play back of my own voice check.

6. Up to now I have held off uninstalling and reinstalling the Logitech device.

Doesn't it appear that main culprit is the absence of Sound Recorder? Can I restore it without having the original XP CD?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Go start, run and type
sfc /scannow

It will more than likely ask for the XP CD see how far you can run without it.

2. I asked was it in windows system32

However if you have the i386 folder then use the link that i sent from microsoft and substitute the letter fror the CD drive shown in the link with the letter where the i386 folder is so you will then type this
Start > Run > type in cmd >

C:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

the link is on my post 4.

and you may find this helpful
http://www.pcreview....xe-t585689.html