Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router slows down over time

• Please log in to reply

Kadh2000

Kadh2000

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My connection speed is supposed to be 24 MBPS download and 4 MBPS upload. And it is for a while. Eventually, I'll have to go away from the computer and it will go to sleep, during which it disconnects from the router. When I use the computer again it takes a few seconds to reconnect to the router and thus the internet. Usually, the download and upload speeds are about that of dialup. If I reboot the router, I'm back up to full speed. What's the solution beyond buying a new router?

Router: linksys WRT320. I connect via a cable.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Have a look at this video.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there!

@Rockmilk; How is changing the DNS settings on the PC and/or Router going to help speed up the connection or prevent the OP from having to reset the router? I'm sorry but this video isn't going to help a thing.

@kadh2000; I have a few questions for you to try and troubleshoot this issue.
  • If I understand correctly your PC goes into a sleep mode if you haven't used it in a while?
  • Have you tried anything yourself before coming to Geeks to Go?
  • Do you have any other network devices connected to the router?

Regards,
Olrik

Kadh2000

Kadh2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I was on vacation. I am not changing my router to Google DNS. I don't have an issue with security.

My computer does go into sleep mode. There are two other computers on the network. Both of them suffer the same problems at the same time. Again, rebooting the router solves the problem for all three computers. I have done stuff to try and fix it, but I don't remember exactly what. I'm afraid I didn't document what I tried.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there Kadh2000,

Can you please try resetting the router back to factory settings?

Regards,
Olrik

Kadh2000

Kadh2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I reset it to factory settings and am unable to connect to the internet at all. I had backed up the settings before doing that. Restoring the backup did not restore the internet connection. I'm connecting directly through the modem right now.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm so sorry for me delayed reaction! The notification must have slipped past in my email box.

Are you still able to reach the configuration page of the router?
Also, what make/model is the router?

Regards,
Olrik

Kadh2000

Kadh2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No Problem.

Yes I am able to reach the configuration page. It's a Cisco Linksys WRT320N Dual-band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello,

Please download SINO by Artellos.

• Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe. (If you downloaded the ZIP version you will need to extract it first)
  • Then please check the following checkboxes:
    System Info
    Event Log
    Ipconfig
    Ping
    Hosts file
    Routing Table
  • Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.
  • A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.
Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

Regards,
Olrik