Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot update to Windows 7 SP1

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.

Copy and paste that in search open the log click edit and find

type

failure

compare the entries with the date when you tried SP1
Also try failed or failure on the CBS log

Advertisements

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was overwhelmed by the amount of fail there was :)

Basicly the CBS.log is only fail. 99% of it seems to be found in lines like this one here:

2010-05-18 18:08:57, Info                  CBS    Appl: detect Parent, Package: Package_for_KB978601_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.1, Parent: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverCluster-Core-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385, Disposition = Detect, VersionComp: EQ, ServiceComp: EQ, BuildComp: EQ, DistributionComp: GE, RevisionComp: GE, Exist: present

Googling for Microsoft-Windows-FailoverCluster-Core-WOW64-Package led me to this page: http://answers.micro...fa-0f0d1a8789e3

They suggest runing the readiness tool. I did it 2 weeks ago but shouldn't I really give it another try in despite of it officially only supporting sp1?

I also took the actual log entry above from the thread and not from my own log, because I'm currently write from my own comp. Browsing on the other one's a pain compared to this one here.

Anyway, I also searched through setupapi.dev. "failure" gave 0 results. I then searched "fail" and found so many different entries that I was completely lost. Some of them are taged with 1, 2 or 3 exclamation marks but I don't really can make sense of it. Some seem to come from booting, others from just installing somet hardware etc.

Do you want me to attach them?

Edited by nept, 18 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try zipping the CBS.log and attach to your next reply...or upload it to Google docs and give us a link...

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I forgot to mention, there's been 2 setupapi.dev files, one was called "setupapi.dev" and the other "setupapi.dev.20120614_205751". No idea why. Also I think when I copied it to my desktop the one with numbers first showed up blue (compressed)? The one with numbers after is 16mb so I didn't attach it. Let me know if you need it. The other two you can find in the zip attached to this post.

Attached Files

• Attached File  logs.zip   426.96KB   199 downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try searching

Year/month/date

eg 2012/07/13

or whatever date it was when you attempted SP1

see if on that you can get an error report on failure

I do not know what my colleague thinks, but I am beginning to wonder if there is anything to lose and possibly a lot to gain by continuing with the suggestions from our colleague rockmilk, although I have to say that in my opinion, I would view some of them as one of the last attempts before we admit defeat and you refer it to Microsoft, as you are of course entitled to free help with a service pack update OR we go for a custom install - which is in efffect a reinstall of Windows but hopefully preserving all data and programs

I am signing off early tonight as I am out at 0600

I notice there is a very recent driver update on your motherboard site I would install it. I seem to remember it is for the audio issued just a few days ago

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your hard drive file system is not compressed is it.

rightr click the drive click properties is the box check marked - compress the drive to save disc space.

DO NOT check it.

I have had a quick look

1. Install that new audio driver from the motherboard site

2. Install the video driver from the motherboard site for the Intel VGA driver.

It is earlier than the one you have, but please try it.

most of the failures relate to the graphics.

I have not exmained the CBS log.

I will have to leave that one as I am going

Goodnight to you both.

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
only the other option "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is checked.

I also have to log off now. I'll try the next steps tomorrow.

As long as you're interested I will stick around here as there's no hurry, and it bugs me that we can't fix it on our own. But if we're all lost or if you get sick of this, I'll contact ms about it and keep you updated. And btw, thanks for everything no matter what :) just let me know when to contact ms.

Edited by nept, 18 July 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

or if you get sick of this

That will NOT happen .

Do please deal with those drivers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
turn off indexing too...including sub folders when it asks
I too will be calling it a day shortly...I will see what I can find in the logs tomorrow

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I turned off indexing and installed the drivers. both didn't help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I suggest you proceed with rockmilks suggestions

I see little to lose and it is far preferable to the custom install

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I can't see good enough to read the logs today...
try creating a new ad amin account and try installing SP 1 from their

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Tried with the new account but it didn't help. It's really weird how some files are not really accessible/found from the main account tho, maybe this really is related.

Edited by nept, 20 July 2012 - 06:56 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Have you tried what I have suggested? If you have to no avail then see below.

Have you validated your copy of windows?
http://www.microsoft...validation.aspx

After the validation check the sp1 file again.

Perform a clean boot and try and install The service pack.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If the above fails then make sure to turn your start-up and services back to the way they were prior to the clean boot.

If that fails then download the latest version of WSUS below and unzip it and then go to the client file then double click it, then find the file update installer inside of the client file. Right click and run as admin allow it to run its course and see how that turns out for you.Prior to running this file close everything including your browser disable
your Antivirus and see if that goes well for you.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

nept

nept

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I tried your suggestion but as I already posted I got stuck with the repair tool in step 2 reporting "cannot find 'wuauclt'". I didn't continue as I wasn't sure if it's safe to go on.

I'm sure it's a validated copy, but I'll try to revalidate and your new suggestions as soon as I have a few spare minutes.