Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC, No boot, no POST

• Please log in to reply

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey, I decided to rebuild my PC with pretty much all new parts. However when turning it on nothing is displayed, but all the fans spin for a couple of seconds than stop. This keeps happening until I turn the power off. Every now and than the fans will keep spinning but there will still be no display and the red MemOK LED will stay lit.
Badly explained but I will try to verify anything that is not clear.
The build is
Mother Board: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU: Intel i7-3770 LGA1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB and Crucial 2x2GD both DDR3
Graphics card: MSI 2048MB GeForce GTX 670 OC NVIDIA PCI-Express
PSU: OCZ StealthXstream 2 600W

Advertisements

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
UPDATE Mobo broken getting a replacement

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
:welcome: Magmafire

Thanks for the follow up, sorry to hear it was not better news though.
Did you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case first? If not then I suggest that you do with the new MB, if you require assistance with this or have any questions please feel free to give us a shout.

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunately I received the new MB the exact same problem has arose. As I tried so many different things last time, just curious but do you reckon that the MB and the CPU are not compatible with each other? It's the correct socket, but with no POST was wondering if maybe that was the issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi Magmafire

Check the CPU itself for bent or missing pins and that it is inserted in the socket correctly, matching gold corners or shaped corners.

Did you apply thermal paste to the CPU, was a thermal pad used initially and replaced when the CPU was placed into the replacement MB http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

Are both the 24 pin main power, 8 pin ATX power supply and the CPU fan all connected securely.

Your CPU is compatible with the MB (I had checked that previously) for confirmation please see the MBs CPU support list @ http://uk.asus.com/M...P8Z68V_PROGEN3/

Let us know how the above checks out.

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just checked the CPU, it seems okay, everything looks intact. I applied thermal paste on the CPU with the initial bored but scraped it off during the time I waited for the replacement board. My friend has a socket 1155 CPU he said he would let me borrow to check if that works, to determine whether the CPU is the issue.

Everything Else is connected securely. When browsing other forums some people suggested a new power supply, but could I rule that out as this is the same PSU that ran my old build?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

I applied thermal paste on the CPU with the initial bored but scraped it off during the time I waited for the replacement board

Did you clean it off properly and then re-apply a fresh amount - the CPU will overheat otherwise and when it does the MBs thermal sensor will shut the system down to avoid frying the CPU, this takes a matter of seconds to occur.

Please provide further information regarding the following so that we can check compatibility** See below; and the required PSU output;

Compatibility;
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - please provide a link to the specific Ram.
Crucial 2x2GD - same as above please.

Power requirements;
What type/spec and how many HDD/s do you have.
What type of and how many optical drive/s do you have.

**For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

When browsing other forums some people suggested a new power supply,

To avoid any confusion or conflicting advice it is recommended that you only work with one forum, are you receiving assistance on any other forum.

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The thermal paste was cleaned off, and applied again.

The RAM I have is
http://www.corsair.c...3m2a1600c9.html
And
http://www.crucial.c...e=CT25664BA1339

I have a 1TB hard drive http://www.amazon.co...&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

And 1 CD drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

I have to go out for an hour or two but will come straight back to you on my return.

PSU has more than enough power output to support your hardware so unless the PSU has failed I do not feel it is causing the issue.

You have two different speeds of Ram 8GB of 1600Mhz and 4GB of 10600Mhz, both are compatible with the MB on their own but the faster 8GB of 1600 will be throttled back to the speed of the slower 4GB of 10600 which may explain this issue.

8GB of Ram is the sweet spot for Windows 7 64-bit so you do not need 12GB of Ram at present, try fitting first one stick of the 4GB and boot up, see how it goes, shutdown, remove the first 4GB stick and repeat the procedure with the second 4GB stick and see how that goes, if both are ok try fitting both 4GB sticks and again see how it goes, you can try the same testing procedure with the 2X2GB sticks if necessary.

Let us know the results when you are done.

Edited by phillpower2, 12 June 2012 - 12:51 PM.
Additional information added.

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry I've taken so long to reply, was waiting on parts, I've gotten somewhere with this. But seem to be running into more and more issues. Bought a new cheap CPU to put into the motherboard so I could update the bios to run the CPU mentioned above. That is all fine but this new issue is that the LED titled BOOT_DEVICE_LED stays lit, all fans spin till I turn off the power and it looks as if it would be getting somewhere yet still no post

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Couple of questions for you;

Did you do a barebones set-up as I suggested previously (see below)
Have you tried setting up the system using the MBs onboard video chip and no add on video card fitted.

Barebones set-up, first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

Magmafire

Magmafire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Have good news, got the whole thing working in the end. Managed to use an older CPU to update the bios so I could use the i7. The other issues were fixed and the computer now boots and runs fine. Thank you for all your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Great news :D
Thanks for posting the solution so that it may help others :thumbsup:
You are most welcome :yes: