Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unwanted login screen keeps showing

• Please log in to reply

mike12r

mike12r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am sad to say that running the program and fix button did not restore any new shortcuts to my desktop except for the "My Computer Icon". Most files and some program shortcuts that used to be on the desktop are still missing. Also, the start menu and programs list is still the same as it was a few minutes ago - some programs are missing that used to be on it, and many shortcuts were rearranged (one of them is IE and its shortcuts -cant find anymore, which used to be in toolbar & menu - camfrog disappeared also).

I also see that the "My documents folder is still very empty with over 20GB of files, programs and many folders missing as of now. I don't know why all this happened because right before I ran the OTL fix, I had all the files and folder and shortcuts on my computer in their normal places - it wasn't until after the computer rebooted during the OTL fix that I got error messages and everything was different. The only visible problem I had was that I would get a somoto.net login screen, which was very annoying.

On a good note, I actually found almost all files after long searching: it looks like OTL moved them to:

C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\06112012_224411\C_Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-7117B9CB05\My Documents

but how do I return them to their original location in my start menu-my documents folder - where they are now takes a while to find and search for. And my start-menu programs list is still missing programs - my toolbar at the bottom of the screen wasn't restored by roguekiller :( , I wish system restore or something similar could put everything back in the same spot the way it was a day ago... :unsure:

Attached Thumbnails

• my documents folder image.JPG

Edited by mike12r, 13 June 2012 - 11:18 PM.

Advertisements

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Hi,

On a good note, I actually found almost all files after long searching: it looks like OTL moved them to:

C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\06112012_224411\C_Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-7117B9CB05\My Documents

I will replace using OTL.

# Step 1 #
Restore Accessories Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Ensure that the following check boxes are checked (as seen in this image below):

Posted Image

Once they are, click on the Restore button.

# Step 2 #
Restore Admin Tools Program Files Menu

Please download this tool here.

You will need to unzip the tool first.

Once you've unzipped the tool, please double-click on it to run it.

Click on the Restore Administrative Tools Items button.

As seen in this image below:

Posted Image

This next one will produce the necessary shortcut links which you can cut and paste into the start menu folder
Download the repair.vbs file to your destop
Run the repair.vbs
It will ask for a folder name call it recovery
The tool will let you know when it is finished
On the desktop will be a recovery folder
Open the folder
Cut and Paste the links that you want to C:\documents and settings\your name\start menu

Posted Image

Posted Image

# Step 3 #

Please reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Under the Posted Image box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Files
    C\Documents  and  Settings\Owner.YOUR-7117B9CB05\My  Documents|C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\06112012_224411\C_Documents  and  Settings\Owner.YOUR-7117B9CB05\My  Documents /replace

:Commands
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]

• Then click the Posted Image button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Navigate to the C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

# Step 4 #

Download aswMBR.exe ( 4.8mb ) to your desktop.

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Posted Image