Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not booting and can't re-install

• Please log in to reply

vinhais

vinhais

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem 1 is that on most, but not every occasion, my cce info win notebook would not boot into windows 7 operating system. I tried the various boot manager fixes, which did not help. When i use a repair disk i can not do anything as it does not find an installed operating system. Next i tried to re-install from disk. Sometimes it allowed me to do this but other times i got a This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk, ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in computer's Bios menu error. The non booting error continued so eventually i did a complete reformat and managed to reinstall windows 7. But ever since this (including another reformat) it will not let me reinstall. I have used Macrium reflect rescue disc in order to take an image and can re install the image and get the laptop working this way, but it still won't re boot on some occasions and i have to re install the image again. The re-boot problem is intermittent but regularly it doesn't happen every time but every day more than once.

Edited by vinhais, 09 June 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: vinhais

This may be a problem with the HDD itself, this may also include the HDD controller or the drive to MB connection.
Is the HDD (hard drive) detected in the BIOS.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

What type of disk are you using as in was it provided with the machine or is it a full retail version of Windows 7.

vinhais

vinhais

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i tested with vivard which i already had and it was very slow to read and every sector had an error. I re installed my image file got a a bsod tested again with vivard and it read the disk this time without errors even though i couldn't boot into windows. Tested again and vivard says drive not ready and each sector comes as an error

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please do the testing that I suggested as it may repair the bad sectors on the HDD.
If you are not sure of the brand of HDD you can check it in the BIOS (but only if it is detected) a device with the letters ST included would suggest a Seagate HDD and WD Western Digital as examples.

Also I asked;

What type of disk are you using as in was it provided with the machine or is it a full retail version of Windows 7.

What is the answer please.

vinhais

vinhais

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a Toshiba mk3259gsxp so i went with the fujitsu branded toshiba and NO HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED. The disk i am using is an downloaded iso image off the official microsoft supplier web site, forgot the name river something i think and burned using microsofts windows 7 usb/dvd download tool. Originally it was pre installed with a recovery partition but as is fairly normal here in Brazil a tech decided to upgrade the os unrequested and also wiped the drive (it is not my notebook it's my father in laws). So i use this method because i have the licence key still and want it legal. It has worked for me in the past before these problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
This does not look good for the HDD at present, options include removing the HDD and then refitting it to see if it is detected or removing it and trying it in an external USB HDD enclosure such as http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0008194O4 or an adapter http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56 or placing it in another notebook.
At present the OS disk is secondary as the HDD must be sorted out first, any warranty left on the machine.