Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

< Windows root >\system32\hal.dll. error

• Please log in to reply

nnnick17

nnnick17

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I got an old [bleep] Dell desktop computer I'm trying to install Windows xp on it, but i keep getting this < Windows root >\system32\hal.dll. every time I get past the boot screen. Also when I go to setup my Primary Slave Drive is unknown as well as the Secondary Master Drive. Can someone please give me some advice on how to install my Windows cd....

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: nnnick17

< Windows root >\system32\hal.dll suggests a corrupt/damaged operating system.
What type of Windows disk are you attempting to use, a Dell system restore disk or a full Windows XP installation disk as examples.

Please provide the exact Dell model name and/or number as this will allow us to do the required research.

Also when I go to setup my Primary Slave Drive is unknown as well as the Secondary Master Drive.

Providing the requested details may help us with this but two possibilities come to mind, 1: There are no slave devices. 2: The slave drives have failed.

nnnick17

nnnick17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's the Dell Dimension 2400

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What type of Windows disk are you attempting to use, a Dell system restore disk or a full Windows XP installation disk as examples.

The Dell Dimension 2400 MB Specs http://support.dell....hov.htm#1105465
You will need to open the case and check how the CD and HDD are connected to the MB as in each connected into their own sockets as in the picture or whether one is connected into the middle of the data ribbon as a slave device, while you are there you should check that all connections are securely attached and that the end connections of the data ribbons are not damaged.
If you are unsure as to how to do the above checks let me know and I will guide you through it.

nnnick17

nnnick17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a burned version of Windows xp not exactly sure of anything about it past that

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
For now I would recommend the checks on the CD and HDD are carried out, this guide showing how you replace a HDD will help http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm

Where did you obtain the burned Windows disk from please, do you also have a valid product activation key for it, we must be careful not to use unlicensed software.

nnnick17

nnnick17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, I appreciate the advice

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries, we will look out for an update when you are ready.