Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm feeling lazy so... (WOLF-7X)

• Please log in to reply

Wolfie

Wolfie

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Normally I'd troubleshoot this myself but I'm feeling lazy. I've tried a brief look over my system and didn't find anything peculiar but maybe I'm just being blind.

Issue I'm having is that things will be running fine and then suddenly the system will be sluggish. For example I could watch something on Netflix without any issues. Suddenly, when the system gets haunted, trying to watch Netflix will give me a very sluggish/choppy video. Filling in a text box on a website will go from smooth to sluggish as well. This is via two different browsers and also affects other programs that aren't browsers. For example, opening a file with WinRAR will have the WinRAR program opening slowly. It's not at a crawl but it's taking it's time where you'd swear that there's something else chewing up CPU time. When looking at TaskMgr, which I always have running anyway, the CPU usage is off by a few points compared to what adds up in the list (sorted by CPU usage, I might see 5% among a few programs but it's telling me that the usage is 10%). I know that there will usually be a small discrepancy between the values but thought I'd mention it anyway. When I do a reboot and run the same things over again, all is fine. Closing out everything and re-opening everything (minus a reboot) doesn't correct it. It's almost as if something got started and it's in a small loop where it doesn't know what to do and since I don't see anything that isn't out of the ordinary, I can't exactly stop it.

(OTL log inside of spoiler)
Spoiler

Yes, I know I have a ton of junk on my computer.. The HOSTS file I'm sure is clean. SpyBot S&D added almost all of those entries. I removed two from view for privacy reasons but they are valid entries.

Advertisements

Wolfie

Wolfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
After running Malwarebytes and TFC and then a reboot, the problem seems to be gone. Do have a couple of other issues going on but don't believe they are related to any potential spyware/etc, although I will provide details if asked.