Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C: drive useage

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
With XP … can one directly determine how much of the C-drive (in GBs) is being used by files with extention JPG, without regard to which folders the files are in? How?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Well, one slow way would be to open a Command Prompt and type dir c:\*/jpg /s and press Enter.

It will look through all directories on the C: drive and report each one to you. At the end will be a summary of total found and space used. I just did this on my system and got:

Total Files Listed:
       12777 File(s)  6,573,696,577 bytes
           0 Dir(s)  30,771,585,024 bytes free

If you wanted to save to results you could redirect the output to a file: dir c:\*/jpg /s > alljpgs.txt then notepad alljpgs.txt when it finishes.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Ztrucker: Many thanks. That approach worked, in that it gave me some 50 pages of 8 point printout and everything I could want to know must surely be there. I just have to do the data analysis.

But, I wonder, if there isn’t a “more modern” way that would present the data in a table-like format, showing columns filename, folder, and size and totaling up the memory used in each folder. Can XP do that? Does anyone know of an external utility that does something like that?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There is nothing in XP or any Windows OS that will do that. There are other programs that will do this, like PowerDesk($39.95).

There are probably free ones as well but I know PD allows you to use filters so you could show only .jpg files.

Just found this one: xplorer2. One of the capabilities it lists is Filter and select with wildcards. Might do what you want.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Thanks. ...batpark

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Batpark

With my Dell desktop with XP ... what is an easy way to determine how much of my C:\hard-drive is being consumed by my JPG images (that are stored in many separate folders)? Can I get a listing of every JPG file (*.jpg) in C:\ ?

from this topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

The same question, on this topic here, more or less I think, as asked by you in September last year on the quote above, when I pointed out to you that jpegs or indeed any other file did not as such take up or use memory, but hard drive space, until of course you open one.

However on this topic you again ask

memory used in each folder

May I ask if we have answered the EXACT point you are asking, or are we, both Ztruker and myself missing the ACTUAL query you are making, if so please do tell us.