Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe mode causes limited or no activity (XP)

• Please log in to reply

net-head

net-head

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I'm having a number of problems using some hotel wifi hotspots. In order to resolve the problem I've tried rebooting my computer using safe mode and I seem to have the opposite problem to everyone else while doing this. My computer gets stuck on Limited or No Connectivity if I connect to the internet "Safe Mode with Networking".

I can connect (sometimes) if I boot Windows normally and then use Opera Turbo to load my webpages. But many webpages the browser gets stuck "looking up hostname". Sometimes I can access a new website for a few dozen KB, but then it will always get stuck loading.

But the limited connectivity from Safe Mode is really foxing me.

Any help appreciated!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
More info might help. Make and model of laptop. Which Windows OS are you using?

It's possible that Safe Mode with Networking is not loading the driver for your Wireless device.

JOHNY_belkinPHIL

JOHNY_belkinPHIL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi My nAME is john WAS WITH BELKIN TECH SUPPORT . for that issue, I can suggest you to make sure that the security mode of your router has been set to 64 bit WEP since XP has an issue with WPA/PSK security mode. feel free to contact me here and I'd love to help you out with that. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2012 - 06:10 AM.
Removed email for security