Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Patch KB2686509 Will Not Install

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I apologize if I have put this in the wrong box, but I could not see a better one. Please redirect if placed wrongly.

Microsoft Windows 2002 Home, SP3 security update KB2686509 will not install after many tries. I have looked on the web and I am not alone, the web is flooded with users having the same problem. I have tried the MS Fixit programs and one or two other suggestions given - there are many - but no joy and was lucky not to destroy my keyboard settings. At one stage my browser opened but would not activate. It loaded a new tab instead of my Google Home Page. I recovered sanity by shutting down and pulling the power plug. It all came back to normal on reboot.

I ran MS Fixit, it found ONE item and from then on passed me to all kinds of FAQ`s until I found http://www.vivus.net/dl/.
I followed this instruction. Item 3 gave a Notepad of script, I reran the update, then got the cmd panel by Start>Run>cmd and there it stayed on my screen doing nothing. I then actioned item 6 by pressing any key and nothing happened. So from item 4 onwards, the instruction is either in-explicit or does not work.

Another guy said that picking out two specified registry keys and deleting the scanmap solved the problem. He said the scanmap could be put back later, but never said how - very vague - I have not done that.

Pasting the script in the cmd panel cased havoc. Nothing happened that I could see, but from then on my browser did not work as explained above.

Can anybody post me an explicit and non-complicated solution to this problem that WORKS ?

Failing all else, as I use Sandboxie all the time, I see no reason why I need this Windows update or go through some highly complicated script and registry procedure which I do not understand and could end up in tears. Why bother ? Sandboxie is more secure than the MS Windows updates will ever be to my PC. But I would like to fix this problem rather than walk away from it.

PS - Latest. This post has been well read but no replies so far. As the trouble with KB2686509 affects a large number of users and all of the many proposed solutions are rather complicated, I have decided to ignore the update. Using Sandboxie, AVG and PrivateFirewall, plus KeyScrambler, I do not need it.

KB2686509 is actually associated with a keyboard registry adjustment and the last thing I wish to do is mess around with unauthorized scripts I do not understand, which change the registry values and I end up in tears.

In any case, as this particular update is causing so much trouble in the world, then it is Microsoft`s responsibility to issue a fix for their faulty update and not leave users to their own devices.

Unless somebody has a simple solution, please consider this thread closed. I am sorry to have raised it, but many others have done the same on the web.

Edited by John Bull, 13 June 2012 - 04:20 AM.

Advertisements

Christian vivus.net

Christian vivus.net

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you really read "step-by-step"?

When you run the batch script, the output stops with the information that you have to "DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW" and change to Windows Update for running KB2686509.
When KB2686509 is finished, you have the option "Done" and "Reboot" - DO NOTHING - change back to output windows of the batch file and press any key for restoring your registry keys and entries. When this window shows up "REBOOT" you can reboot your system and it is (in the most cases) done.

Regards
Christian

sAiyAnstAr

sAiyAnstAr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed the instructions to the batch file and it worked perfectly. Was tearing my hair out over this one, but the batch script sorted it.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Have you really read "step-by-step"?

When you run the batch script, the output stops with the information that you have to "DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW" and change to Windows Update for running KB2686509.
When KB2686509 is finished, you have the option "Done" and "Reboot" - DO NOTHING - change back to output windows of the batch file and press any key for restoring your registry keys and entries. When this window shows up "REBOOT" you can reboot your system and it is (in the most cases) done.

Regards
Christian

Dear Christian, what a small world eh ?

I have read your superb instructions carefully and cannot thank you enough for both producing the magic script and all the explanations you have kindly sent to me.

My footnote was aimed at sealing this thread pending carrying out your instructions next time this patch pops up on my machine. At present it appears to have taken a break, but when it returns I will carry out your instructions and by the sound of poster No.3, it will be put to rest.

I will advise you of my result by Email, but what I said about ignoring it etc. is perfectly valid. I am treating the matter as not being urgent.

My very best regards
John

Edited by John Bull, 21 June 2012 - 03:26 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
LATEST NEWS - Problem solved - 18 July 2012

My two persistent update failures are KB2686509 and KB2483185, both of which are subject to a whole barrage of complaints on the web. These two updates appear to be causing a world-wide problem.

I have eventually solved both of them and they are now successfully installed on my PC - no more problems with these MS updates.

KB2686509
Run Christian Schumm`s Hotfix - simple instructions are shown on - http://www.vivus.net/dl/

Just download to your desktop :- icon
Posted Image
Right click the icon and select Properties - Panel
Posted Image
Change the name by deleting the "txt" and leave the name ending in "cmd". The icon will change to this
Posted Image
Then just click it and the first Hotfix panel appears. Follow the instructions, they are very minor and simple. IT WORKS perfect, when you reboot, the update has been installed. Takes just 2-3 minutes, if that.
NOTE :- I downloaded the update from http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=29804

KB2483185
Run MS Fixit 505593 - download from http://support.micro....com/kb/2483185

Then download and run http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=16289

Mine worked fine, the update installed OK. But 505593 did fail before I used the Hotfix and installed KB2686509. Perhaps changes made by Christian`s Hotfix were needed by 505593.

I consider the thread now closed. My sincere thanks to everybody.

Edited by John Bull, 18 July 2012 - 01:27 PM.

laundryhamperman

laundryhamperman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to add a second post where KB2686509 will not install was solved using the http://www.vivus.net/dl/ procedure. Follow the instructions closely and do not reboot your computer before you go back to the cmd window and press any key to restore what was changed for the fix, like the instructions say.

Praepi

Praepi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have this nasty KB2686509 problem.
I have tried your batch file. I placed it on my desktop, deleted the suffix "txt" and ended the file name with ".cmd" as instructed.
But running (double click) the batch, only the notebook page opened with the textual contents; no Hotfix panel or any other action.
I have also placed the file in my C:\root. Also no supposed action. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help.
Praepi