Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Opened Documents are now unreadable

• Please log in to reply

bouncer56

bouncer56

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For some reason when I open a document now, this adobe reader box pops up and says it does not recognize the font. It shows the document but you can not read anything . I don't remember changing anything . it started doing it. I can create a open office document , save it , send it in an email. When I try to open it up as a pdf , it will open but that box will pop up and there will be the unreadable doc. Confused....

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Open Office org if that is what you mean is not a pdf doc

that is why you cannot read it with adobe reader

simply right click the doc and click open with OR open office and click file and then open and select the doc

Open office files are basically xml format
http://en.wikipedia....ki/OpenDocument

and for import and modification of pdf etc
http://extensions.se...oject/pdfimport

I am not certain if I have understaood your perceived problem correctly if not please explain further

bouncer56

bouncer56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The PDF's look different to me now also. PDF is in a black box and the rest on the icon is dark grey with the red logo of adobe in the center. i don't remember it being that color. I can't remember what it use to look like only that it is different. The docs when pulled up look like a series of dots. No letters unless they are big.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Open what please
Documents
select
right click
open with
select
not pdf but open office etc

OR send me a screnshot please if that does not address what you are trying to tell me

Prt Scrn key
start
programs
accessories
paint
edit
paste
file
save as
jpeg
reply panel
use full editor
attach

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Are you saving the documents as PDF files? If not then as Mac said, Open Office (or Libre Office) save in odf (Open Data Format) by default, not pdf and they and maybe MS Office can open those documents, not Adobe Reader.

If you are talking about PDf files, with a .pdf file extension, then Adobe Reader should handle them.

bouncer56

bouncer56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for your help. Sorry I'm not as saavy as you guys. Here is a box that keeps popping up. I might have changed something with out knowing.

This is when I try to open a file. Some files open and others, this box below pops up. When it does open sometimes the letters are different size dots like it can't reproduce the doc.

This is the Box below that says.

ASCII Filter options
Properties
Character Set at right it says: Western Europe ( ISO-8859-15/Euro)This is the one I am unsure about.
Default fonts """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""; Times New Roman
Language """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""": English

Is this correct????

Edited by bouncer56, 23 June 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No need to apologise

Please get the window on the screen press the prt scrn key
open paint
click edit tab
click paste the window will appear
click file tab click save as
save as jpeg bit map is too large
on reply use full editor and attach

thanks

all as previously detailed on my post 4 please

The message by the way, means that the format of the document is not recognised.

I am still a little unsure as to when you create the doc, what you are creating it in - Open Office - I think and what you are saving it as.

bouncer56

bouncer56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Paint is not available when I hit open. I right click. I get about 8 other choices but not paint. This is when I try to open a PDF file. I have seen paint before and have used it. For some reason it does not give me that option when trying to open a PDF file. I only have open office. I do not use MS word.

When I try any of the others is when that box pops up. Not on all but most.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Paint is not available when I hit open

No not when you click open.

I think you may have it wrong, or it may be me that was not 100% clear
with the message about the ascii on the screen you press the prt scrn key on the keyboard

You then go start programs accessories paint and take it from there

And

Works (the link is clickable)
After I first installed it (Windows XP SP2), it worked fine - could open PDFs from within Draw without doing anything special.

At some point (some time after upgrading to SP3, not sure if related) I could no longer open PDFs from within Draw. The File->Open dialog box does not include a 'PDF' type. I get the same ASCII Filter thing others mentioned.

However, if I use Writer instead, that File->Open dialog box does have the 'PDF' type - I can select PDFs from there, and they still open into Draw, same as always.