Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Comparison

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hey guys,

Haven't built a PC in a few years and the time away has made me rusty when comparing components. I had a EVGA 8800GT 512mb on my old PC, when looking to build a new budget-PC I bought a newer EVGA 450 GTS from a friend for $70, which looked like a good price. I can still find 8800GT cards online for around $60. I know the obvious differences are the 1GB memory vs 512mb, and a higher core clock, but my question is if there are any other big differences between the cards? And have I upgraded by getting the newer 450 GTS? I can find another 450 GTS for around $97, and I have a newer SLi capable board. Thought about doing that as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The GTS450 benefits from the more modern technology that was available in it`s development and so is a better card + the 8800GT has been retired which is also a downside.

Benchmarks;
http://www.videocard...GeForce GTS 450
http://www.videocard...GeForce 8800 GT

Can I ask what the main use of the computer is work, school or gaming as examples and what brand and output PSU do you have.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
This is designed to be an inexpensive gaming PC meant for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I have ordered most of my parts to complete my build.

A79-0560
AmD Phenom II X2 560 3.3Ghz AM3 CPU

ULT-LSP650
ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY

TSD-320AAKX
WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G

I also picked up an MSI 870A-G54 from Frys yesterday for 49.99 brand new, which was an excellent deal for an SLi capable board. I am considering ordering another GTS 450 to run in SLi, its only $110 for another GTS 450. What do you think? Much of a benefit? I have used many cards in the past as singles, but never did an SLi build.

My history of Video Cards:
AGP 6600GT
EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb
EVGA 8800GT 512mb
EVGA Ge Force GTS 450 1024mb

BTW, thanks for taking to time to answer my questions.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

A79-0560
AmD Phenom II X2 560 3.3Ghz AM3 CPU

Good CPU, is it a z560.

ULT-LSP650
ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Not the best of brands, see http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html if you can swap it for a known good brand such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic, you do not need a 650W PSU either, I have just used a PSU calculator and allowed for your CPU, 8GB of Ram, your HDD, a CD R/W and two GTS 450 cards and it returned a PSU requirement of just under 500W, a good quality 550 - 600W PSU is adequate.

One good quality add on video card is often better than having two mediocre cards + you will not require a more powerful and expensive PSU that having two cards most often requires.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Yes, the CPU is a Z560, hoping that will be the better one. I will also swap out the PSU for a Thermaltake (always been partial to them).

As one follow-up question, I was hoping for your thoughts on the motherboard that I purchased. This is my first MSI board. In the past I have had good to very bad experiences with certain brands. ECS was the worst for me, with Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock giving me better experiences.

Also, I was told years ago that I needed the same card to SLi, I am guessing I was told incorrectly according to your suggestion.

Thanks, again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As one follow-up question, I was hoping for your thoughts on the motherboard that I purchased.

Reviews show it to be a good MB on a budget http://www.techradar...4-707987/review

Also, I was told years ago that I needed the same card to SLi, I am guessing I was told incorrectly according to your suggestion.

Sorry crossed wires here as I never suggested using two different cards, I actually said "One good quality add on video card is often better than having two mediocre cards" as in two of the same brand and spec.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Got it, read it incorrectly. I think that answers all of my questions. I appreciate all the answers!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome, good luck with the upgrade and we are here if you have any further questions :thumbsup:

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Figured i would post this here since it contains information about my hardware. I have developed a second issue.

I upgraded from the Ultra PSU to a Thermaltake 450w PSU and completed the build.

All was well until I unlocked the CPU and made it a quad core, from its original dual core setting. The temps were too high, so I disabled the unlocked core settings on the motherboard (resetting it back to defaults), then it prompted me to restart to make the changes permanent. Upon restart I cannot get a video signal from my graphics card. I have unplugged the PSU and tried to restart several times with no luck. Surely my video card isn't fried? I never attempted to OC the GPU.

EDIT: unplugged the battery and reset the bios. good as new.

Edited by lpchris85, 19 June 2012 - 07:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: