Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

APPCRASH on boot (csrss.exe)

• Please log in to reply

grimloktt

grimloktt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. I was searching for an answer to my appcrash issue that I get every boot and stubmled upon your forum. Thnx to those that extend their expertise to little ol' folks like myself that don't quite understand the system.

Here is the message I receive:
"Microsoft Packed File has stopped working."

Upon showing problem details, I can see:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: csrss.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Fault Module Name: StackHash_6468
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 01ce88fa
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6468
Additional Information 2: 6468f861e147a589fae563bf972751a0
Additional Information 3: 8aa8
Additional Information 4: 8aa86a7d61caa0dfa7ccd7e495fb24ad

Thoughts?

Thnx!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The first thing to do is run System File Checker and see if that fixes the problem.

Click on Start, type command prompt. Right click on Command Prompt at the top and select Run as Administrator.

In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let it run to completion. Reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi grimloktt ... :wave: ..:welcome:

why do you have appcrash launching with windows...
click on start...type in msconfig...select it from the results above...click on start tab..uncheck appcrash then get a screenshot of msconfig for us...drag the window open as far as you can first...

in case you don't know how to post screenshot...
when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

grimloktt

grimloktt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The first thing to do is run System File Checker and see if that fixes the problem.

Click on Start, type command prompt. Right click on Command Prompt at the top and select Run as Administrator.

In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let it run to completion. Reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

Complete:
"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

grimloktt

grimloktt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did as you instructed, minus copy/paste screen shot, and looked under that tap in msconfig. There was no "appcrash" to uncheck; however, I did notice a "microsoft packed file" and unchecked those--as that is the preface of my error messages. I further discovered they are related to Windows Defender which is disabled b/c I have Norton.

Still didn't fix it...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is it appcrash or appcrashview...
if its just appcrash...

Click on the start orb...type in event viewer in the search box...click on it from the results above...
on the left-hand side click on system then on the right-hand side click on find in the small window that opens type in error... click on find next... in the top center window click on the first error the window below it will say what the error is... highlite the in that box then open Notepad and press ctrl+V to paste the text into Notepad...

do the same for applications...
if you have a lot of the same errors just note the dates and only post one but let us know how many there were

post the text in your reply...

grimloktt

grimloktt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

is it appcrash or appcrashview...
if its just appcrash...

Click on the start orb...type in event viewer in the search box...click on it from the results above...
on the left-hand side click on system then on the right-hand side click on find in the small window that opens type in error... click on find next... in the top center window click on the first error the window below it will say what the error is... highlite the in that box then open Notepad and press ctrl+V to paste the text into Notepad...

do the same for applications...
if you have a lot of the same errors just note the dates and only post one but let us know how many there were

post the text in your reply...

System:

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your new to our forums so a few tips are in order...

there is no need to quote what I say...just add your reply

also Please do not attach files unless asked to...
just copy and paste them into your reply...saves us all the trouble of downloading them to our
computers than having to open them and then later go back and delete them off our systems...
its much easier to just read them in the thread

and answer any questions asked of you and include all the info requested of you like the applications log plus is it appcrash or appcrashview.