Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Occasional Start Up problems - should I be worried?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Memtest does not have the extended tests option...that is for the other memory test programs...

the chkdsk showed no problems with the hard drive so I do not think its the cause...

random problems are the hardest to diagnose

disconnect everything from the computer except the keyboard, mouse and monitor...
are they USB or PS/2
make sure the optical drives do not have anything in them...
also lets see if speedfan will give us more info...get it here
run it and post a screenshot..

when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

Advertisements

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi again,

I returned from our weekend away a short time ago and was pleased to see your latest post.

I have run the Speedfan program with just the monitor and a USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard connected. Attached is the resulting screen, but if you want me to get any other results please advise - I am not sure what the other tabs are for!

Thanks,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that shows your 3.3 and 5 V way off as well as the CPU and mobo temps
lets try a different tool and see if it works better with the sensors on the mobo...
go here and get Speccy...after downloading it click on it and get a screenshot for us...

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hellooo again!

I have just seen your reply, and without taking the time to shut down and disconnect things I have run the Speccy program as you asked and attach screenshots of the summary and graphics tabs. If it is critical that I disconnect everything as I did for the first test please advise and I will do so and post new screenshots when I have more time. In the meantime, if anything here seems wrong no doubt you will let me know.

Since the problem seems to be video related (i.e. either the video works and boot up continues without a hitch, or it fails to show anything (no errors or any flash screen), could it be that the video card needs changing? just a thought?

Thanks again,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• Speccy Summary.JPG
  • Speccy Graphics tab.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rogerbid

On a slightly different issue you have posted a query on a how to guide topic
http://www.geekstogo...ibernate-icons/

regarding creating desktop shortcuts for shut down, hibernate, sleep etc.
If the query on that post relates also to your Windows 7 operating system, it is hardly worth the effort.
In fact, in my opinion, it is unnecessary and adequately catered for, without cluttering your desktop, with more icons.

You simply click as shown.

Untitled.jpg

HOWEVER please do not confuse this topic by replying to that aspect, here.
The matter can be discussed when my good colleague happyrock, has concluded with you here, or indeed as he advises you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the temps using speccy are good...but none of the current tools show the voltage accurately and most try to install other "garbage" and/or change your homepage and search engine...
look in the bios for your voltages...

also...Please download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
Double-click VEW.exe
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi,

I am so sorry for the delay in replying, but I had a problem running VEW. I downloaded and installed it a couple of times and when I clicked Run all I got is a Notepad message saying "Cannot find the C:\VEW.txt file Do you want to create a new file?"

I just tried again and I located the file in C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. Below is the report I found but I should point out that some of the error time stamps are weird to say the least. I was not at my computer at 6:13am, 6:57am, 5:50am, 4:43am etc and though I do have VMWare installed I do not use it and cannot think of any reason why an Event would be connected with this program!

Thanks for any suggestions you can make,

best wishes,

Roger

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 29/06/2012 8:49:49 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/05/2012 2:47:54 AM
Type: Critical Category: 0
Event: 2 Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
The application (LifeCam, from vendor Microsoft) was hard-blocked and raised the following: LifeCam has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows.

'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 10:40:28 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 8211 Source: System Restore
The scheduled restore point could not be created. Additional information: (0x81000101).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 10:40:27 AM
Event: 8193 Source: System Restore
Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation; Description = Scheduled Checkpoint; Error = 0x81000101).

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 7:21:20 AM
Event: 33 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\VMware\vmware player\vssSnapVista64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 7:19:36 AM
Event: 75 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPluginBroker.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPluginBroker.exe" on line 2. Multiple requestedPrivileges elements are not allowed in manifest.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 6:13:15 AM
Event: 33 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\vssSnapVista64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 12:14:22 PM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 6:57:00 AM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/06/2012 5:50:29 AM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The Freemake Improver service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/06/2012 11:55:15 PM
The Freemake Improver service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/06/2012 4:44:43 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/06/2012 6:20:43 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/06/2012 12:22:57 AM
Event: 10016 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {B77C4C36-0154-4C52-AB49-FAA03837E47F} and APPID {EA022610-0748-4C24-B229-6C507EBDFDBB} to the user ASUSWIN7\Roger SID (S-1-5-21-3345017777-2939274015-3433995129-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...type in msconfig...select it from the results above...
start tab...uncheck everything except your AV and synaptics or alps if its a laptop
reboot...
did you ever check the voltages in the bios...were mainly interested in the + 12 and +5 and + 3.3

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi again,

I am sorry I forgot about the voltages earlier. I was not sure where to find the voltages but found the following on the Power tab under the heading CPU Voltages.

CPU 1.224v
3.3 3.296v
5 5.040v
12 11.928v

I have been into msconfig and disabled everything except AVG (not sure what you mean by "...select it from the results above...") and will see how things behave from now on.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Can you explain any of the VEW errors - should I be concerned about any of these?

Thanks,

Roger

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the only one that concerns me is restore failing...
try to manually create a restore point...name it after msconfig...
does it complete successfully...

Advertisements

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi happyrock,

Thanks again and my apologies for not replying sooner, again!

System restore appears to be working OK, as per the attached screenshot, and I am pasting below a new VEW report taken after I created the manual System Restore point.

Interestingly, since I did the msconfig thing, the computer has not faltered when starting though it is perhaps a little early to be believing the problem is solved. Time will tell.

I am most grateful for your asistance and wonder what you suggest I do next, or do i just monitor the system for a few days and see what happens?

Incidentally, I note that there are again a couple of errors (below) date stamped the middle of the night, when I was most definitely not at the computer and it was sewitched off. Can you explain why these errors are created with this datestamp?

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 4:32:14 AM
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 1:59:30 AM
This error sounds a bit ominous!! :confused:

Thanks again and best wishes,

Roger

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 02/07/2012 8:46:12 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

'Application' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/05/2012 2:47:54 AM
Type: Critical Category: 0
Event: 2 Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure
The application (LifeCam, from vendor Microsoft) was hard-blocked and raised the following: LifeCam has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows.

'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:13:36 PM
Event: 1024 Source: MsiInstaller
Product: Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 - Update 'Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=23127

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:13:20 PM
Event: 11310 Source: MsiInstaller
Product: Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 -- Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\34cec3a.rbf. System error 5. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:11:06 PM
Event: 1024 Source: MsiInstaller
Product: Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 - Update 'Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2566458)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Windows Installer can create logs to help troubleshoot issues with installing software packages. Use the following link for instructions on turning on logging support: http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=23127

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:11:05 PM
Event: 11310 Source: MsiInstaller
Product: Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 -- Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Config.Msi\34ceace.rbf. System error 5. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 1:59:30 AM
Event: 1008 Source: Microsoft-Windows-CEIP
A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft, (Error 80004005).

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 12:14:22 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/05/2012 6:57:00 AM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 02/07/2012 10:45:15 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:30:55 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:13:41 PM
Type: Error Category: 1
Event: 20 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 5:11:11 PM
Type: Error Category: 1
Event: 20 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2566458), 32-Bit Edition.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/07/2012 4:32:14 AM
Event: 11 Source: Disk
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft,

don't worry about that one

the one you should be concerned about is for Microsoft Office failing to update...

running sfc /scannow may just fix both of those...
The System File Checker is an important application which scans the integrity of all the protected system files

Click Start...All programs...Accessories...Right Click Command Prompt...Run as administrator
click on Continue...type in sfc /scannow...press Enter...

If any files require replacing SFC will replace them...After the scan is done... Close the command prompt window.

also check the device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi and Thanks for the reply again.

I have run Scannow and the result was all OK, see attached.

The Microsoft Office error is odd as it was created when I installed Office for the first time. I have just purchased the Home and Student version of Office and this was the first installation on this computer. I am not sure how I can try to update it again - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• Scan.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The Microsoft Office error is odd as it was created when I installed Office for the first time. I have just purchased the Home and Student version of Office and this was the first installation on this computer. I am not sure how I can try to update it again

just like your operating system needs updates, office does too...go to windows updates and see what it says you need

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hello and I am once again sorry for the delay in replying. Unfortunately other aspects of life get in the way sometimes!

Thanks for your reply about the Office updates. I have been into Windows Updates and the end result was a message saying that the Office SP1 was not relevant to my Office suite. Maybe this has something to do with the fact it is a cut down version of Office, sold here in Australia as 'Home and Student Office', and when I check updates it tells me there are no updates available. I shall not worry myself unduly about this then, and assume that all is in order with the new installation!

I have not had any repeats of the start up problems and so believe this matter to be resolved now. I am very grateful for your time and patience and now have a new issue to resolve regarding a networking problem which I shall post in the Networking forum!

Thanks again and best wishes,

Roger