Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Occasional Start Up problems - should I be worried?

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Happyrock,

Once again I must sincerely apologise for the delay in writing. I have been very busy and because the startup problems appear to be very much less of a problem these days I have allowed myself to ignore this thread for far too long. I am sorry, and hope I have not offended you.

I have returned to your last instruction and set out to do as you asked but encountered some problems.

Firstly, I timed a bootup sequence and from pressing the power button to a working desktop took 1min 42secs.

Next you asked me to "turn off lifecam". Errrr, sorry, I am not sure what you mean. I have a webcam installed but in fact I have only used it once or twice and did not appreciate that it is 'on' by default and have not idea how I can turn it off! Maybe I should just delete the Lifecam software at Control Panel/Programs?

I followed this instruction "Click Start , type services.msc in the Start Search box...click on it" but in the resulting screen could find no reference to "Logitech Process Monitor" or "LifeCam" services

You also asked "have you defragged recently...if not do so" and yes, I did defrag all my drives not very long ago.

I said the problems seem to be much less these days and in fact since I returned from my holiday I would say the start up process has stalled only about 10 or 12 times in total. If you do not consider this to be significant then maybe I should just live with it and not waste your time and that of your fellow G2G volunteers. What do you think?

Finally, can I ask you to comment on Macboatmaster's suggestions in his July post and do you agree?

Thanks for all your help, and best regards,

Roger

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello rogerbid

As happyrock and Macboatmaster are offline would you mind me chiming in with a couple of suggestions!

Please provide the brand and model details of the PSU (power supply unit)

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Open it.

1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked (see attachment below)

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hello phillpower2

Thanks so much for reading my thread and for your input. I have a few chores to do today and will return to the computer later and follow your comprehensive instructions and reply as soon as I can.

I am grateful to all at G2G for the time they devote to helping us less knowledgable PC users and your involvement is welcomed and much appreciated. I am only sorry that I have been so slow in returning to this matter :blush:

With thanks and best regards,

Roger

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Roger

No worries - reply when you are able to, as we are in differing time zones you will be able to attend
to this whilst I will be offline and vice versa.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi phillpower2 and thanks for your quick reply.

I have now managed to follow your instructions and can reply as follows:

My PSU is a Ritmo Force720

Here is the Quick Report-Summary down to "Debug-PCI"

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer ASUSWIN7
Generator Roger
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.1.7601
Date 2012-11-02
Time 11:56

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name ASUSWIN7
User Name Roger

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2800 MHz (8 x 350)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3328 MB
BIOS Type AMI (08/20/08)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (88LMQS016738)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
IDE Controller Intel® ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
SCSI/RAID Controller Generic Marvell 61xx RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST31000333AS ATA Device (931 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive ST3500418AS ATA Device (465 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD10EALS-00Z8A0 ATA Device (931 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 953766 MB (867875 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 99 MB (31 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 476940 MB (444242 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 332272 MB (227024 MB free)
I: (NTFS) 621595 MB (402780 MB free)
Total Size 2328.8 GB (1896.4 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter (192.168.1.3)
Network Adapter Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller
Network Adapter VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1 (192.168.159.1)
Network Adapter VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 (192.168.88.1)

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer HP Officejet 4500 G510a-f fax
Printer HP Officejet 4500 G510a-f
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer PDF24
Printer Send To OneNote 2010
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39 [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C [NoDB]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Officejet 4500 G510a-f (DOT4USB)
USB Device Officejet 4500 G510a-f
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

--------[ Debug - PCI ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am attaching the screenshot showing the Sensor results.

The url for my PCPitstop summary is http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25117771

Thanks so much for your offer to help. Apart from any suggestions you may have in connection with the start up problems, maybe you can give me your feelings regarding my system and whether you think it is really due for the garbage dump and whether I should be thinking of replacing the whole thing!

(BTW, I was asked to remove the YouTube Downloader program earlier in this thread and did so, but I confess I reinstalled it last week for a specific download. I seldom use it and will remove it again if required)

I look forward to your reply when you have a moment, thanks again,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Roger

Thank you for the information included above :thumbsup:

First of all I will address two items at once, the PSU and the computer in general, the PSU is showing a high reading on the +12V rail (see attached table below) and the brand is of questionable quality, see my canned text below, the computer overall would benefit from a couple of upgrades but is not ready for the trash just yet.

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.co...ad.php?t=208143

Your present PSU http://ctwest.com.au...?productid=4424 and a quality brand of similar wattage http://us.ncix.com/p...ir&promoid=1226 compare the product information available and the vast difference in the cost of each PSU as it reinforces the adage that you get what you pay for.

Your listed software contains AVG and McAfee both of which while they are very good they hog system resources and slow down the computer, change your AV to something that is also very good but light on resources such as Avast or MSE both are available free, other software such as Ashampoo and AVS was touched upon in the reply #40 of Macboatmaster and I can only echo the guidance given in that post.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Phillpower2 and thanks again for your advice.

I am not entirely sure whether you mean that the reading for the PSU in the diagnostic report shows something amiss, or if you are merely suggesting a change to a reputable item 'to be on the safe side'? I will certainly look at changing the PSU but would be happier doing so if you have spotted clear evidence that all is not well with the existing one.

Thanks again to you and to Macboatmaster for your recommendations on AV etc, I will follow the advice.

Thanks again,

Roger

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Roger

If you look at your Everest screenshot it shows that the +12V rail is reading 12.65V, compare this to the PSU tolerance table that I provided and you will see that the maximum recommended output should not exceed 12.60V, also keep in mind that this is when the computer is not under load and so it could dramatically increase or decrease when demands such as watching videos are placed upon it, I am not suggesting that you immediately rush out and replace the PSU I am bringing to your attention the fact that you may have an unstable PSU which could be the cause of your start up problems, please try another software for us and again post a screenshot of the results http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html uninstall the diagnostic programs as and when you are ready please.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

I am attaching the screenshot you requested and will be very pleased to hear any further comments you may have.

Initially I was uncertain how to resolve the AV and malware protection issues, having read online some reviews of the MSE and Avast where there are those who condemn these programs as well. I am inclined to follow your advice however and will also do as Macboatmaster suggested and remove the AVS Registry Cleaner and AShampoo WinOptimiser programs.

Thanks again for your assistance and please let me know if the screenshot has given you any new information, it appears that the 12v supply is coming up short?

best wishes,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor screen.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thank you for the screenshot :thumbsup:
The + 12V reading is showing to be above the minimum recommended 11.4V and so is ok, this may change however while you are watching videos for example so I would take some readings while watching videos to see if there is any increase or decrease in both the voltages or temps.

I do not know what information it is that you have read about Avast or MSE and so cannot comment, as an alternative consider Avira http://www.avira.com...-free-antivirus

Advertisements

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thanks again Phil for your replies.

I gather you no longer think it is super important that I rush to change the PSU so will wait and see how things progress. In the meantime I will check out the Avira Av and make a choice.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Roger

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update Roger :thumbsup:

As mentioned previously I would continue to monitor the temps and voltages as a precaution, you are however correct in that the latest readings would not compel me to swap the PSU at present.

As ever you are most welcome BTW :yes: