Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Building/Buying a New Desktop Computer

• Please log in to reply

kjol21

kjol21

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, I am new to this site and I came here hoping i could get some help.
I am currently in the market for a Desktop PC and I sadly do not know a lot about computers. The reading I have done has made me narrow down a few specs for my computer however I would love to know if I am correct that these are what I will want for my computer or is it going to be obsolete in a year or two with these. I will be playing video games such as Diablo 3, Starcraft 2(and expansions), and League of Legends on this computer so I would love for this machine to be able to run them on high graphic settings. I also do some work at home with microsoft office.

I want an:
Intel Core i5-2500K processor
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6950 Video Card
1TB or larger hard drive
8GB or more of RAM

If these would be good choices great, if not what would other people recommend instead?
I would also love to know what kind of monitor to get with a system like this?
What else should I be putting into my computer specs that would compliment these items?
Where is the best website to customize my computer build and then purchase(if this is possible)?
What would the price range roughly be for this desktop computer?

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone is able to give me to any of my questions.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
:welcome: kjol21

Intel Core i5-2500K processor a great processor.
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6950 Video Card a very good video card but not the best.[/b http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html
1TB or larger hard drive consider using a smaller HDD and adding an SSD for your OS and other favourite programs, this will also give you faster boot up times.
8GB or more of RAM[b] 8GB of Ram is the sweet spot for Windows 7 64-bit and unless you plan on using 3+ displays whilst running multiple applications having more than 8GB of Ram will be of no significant benefit.

I would also love to know what kind of monitor to get with a system like this?

One with a HDMI port, 24" and a 2ms response time.

What else should I be putting into my computer specs that would compliment these items?

A case that has a good cooling system and removable/washable dust filters, a Z77 platform MB, an SSD, a DVD or Blu Ray burner or player, a top brand PSU such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic, the PSU should be chosen when all other parts have been confirmed as available/ordered and a PSU calculator then used to ensure that you will have enough clean and stable power, the PSU should also have a minimum 80% output efficiency rating and finally W7 64-bit for your operating system.

Where is the best website to customize my computer build and then purchase(if this is possible)?

Where in the world are you?

What would the price range roughly be for this desktop computer?

We need to turn this question around a bit and ask you what your maximum budget is and do you have any components that you plan on re-using with the build such as mouse, keyboard, an optical drive and so on, if you provide the requested information we will put a list of parts together for you to consider.

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a lot for the reply phillpower2 it is quite detailed and helpful.

I am in Canada so it will have to be a Canadian website or an an American website with shipping to Canada that I buy from.

My budget for this computer is $2000 CAD(CAD is nearly on par with USD). However I wouldn't mind if it was cheaper.

I don't have any accessories that I am bringing from another computer except for a mouse.

I had a few minutes to look at newegg.com and I am wondering if this computer would be good?

Thanks again for any help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You are welcome kjol21 :thumbsup:

I will provide you with a list of parts that are available in Canada.
Regarding the PC at your link, the specs on the face of it are not bad but you could build better for less, the Z68 platform MB is already dated and replaced by the Z77 platform, the 700W PSU is not a named brand such as Antec or Corsair (done to keep build costs down) you do not need 16GB and the money saved by only fitting 8GB would have been better spent on improving the video card.

I will come back to you in a while with a list of hardware.

Here you go http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/afBX
The cost can be reduced by selecting an i5 CPU such as http://www.newegg.ca...396&PID=3938566

Edited by phillpower2, 16 June 2012 - 11:53 AM.
Link added.

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey thanks that definitely looks good and I will consider it. I have been playing around on cyberpowerpc.com this morning and I came up with a configuration that I think is really good. They are having a fathers day sale so I am getting a pretty good price(I think). With the options I selected the price before rebates is $1,572 after the mail in rebates it comes to $1,273. Here is the computer.

Some of the options I picked were because of either mail in rebates or father day sales or just deals.

Father's Day Sales/Deals:
CPU: Intel i5-3570 free upgrade from Intel i5-3550
Cooling Fan: Free liquid cooling kit. I can get a dual standard fan for $9 more not sure if thatís worth it or not.
Freebies: Any Z77 motherboard gets the free Bluetooth expansion card
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: Free with mail in rebate
Memory: Free upgrade to corsair with heat spreader
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB free upgrade from NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Hard Drive: Free upgrade from 1 TB version
Data Hard Drive: Free with mail in rebate
Keyboard: Free with Purchase
Mouse: Free with Purchase
Headset: Free with mail in rebate

Mail in Rebates:
Case: $20
Motherboard: $20
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: $85
Data Hard Drive: $85
LCD Monitor: $10
Headset: $79

My biggest worries are:
Motherboard: I donít know anything about them so not sure if itís a good one.
Cooling: I donít know much about cooling and what I will need for this computer so if I need more/better cooling options selected please let me know.
Power Supply: I donít know how many Watts I will need so if you know that would be awesome.
Case: Donít know anything about cases so not sure if the one I selected is good.
LCD Monitor: Think this is a good one but not sure.
Wireless Connection: I believe I have picked the correct wireless connection options but if not I need to know because I pretty much need a wireless connection.
Ultra Care Option: Are any of these options worth getting?
Any Extras: There are some options I didnít select because I did know if I needed them or not. If I should be getting some of them please let me know which ones.

Thanks a lot for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Not a bad list or price :thumbsup:

Couple of concerns are the no name brand PSU, the SSD is too small as you need at least 120GB to allow for the many updates that will need to be installed for years to come and the liquid cooling as it requires regular maintenance, has the potential to leak and it will invalidate your CPU warranty if the processor comes supplied with a stock heatsink and fan.

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok awesome to hear that I am close to getting this right.

For the PSU if you look at the options available to me which one would you recommend for the price because I would love to not add on much more $.

For the SSD the only reason I had selected that one is because I will get it for free after the Mail in Rebates. Can I get by for a while with just it and then upgrade to a 120 GB or larger one a few years later?

If I should go with there none liquid cooling options that is fine by me they just defaulted me to that pick and I don't know anything about cooling. Which option would you recommend me getting? Also should I get one of there noise reduction options if I go for a fan over the liquid cooling?

Lastly, the monitor I have selected is the 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VH242H LCD w/ Built-in Speaker, DVI, & HDMI it costs $219. Do you think I will be better off trying to find a cheaper monitor somewhere else or is that a good deal?

Thanks again for the help I have been posting on 4 different websites for the last 5 days and you have easily been the most helpful.

Edited by kjol21, 16 June 2012 - 02:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

For the PSU if you look at the options available to me which one would you recommend for the price because I would love to not add on much more $.

I would recommend a 650 to 750W Antec or Corsair (my choice of brand) PSU, use a PSU calculator such as the Newegg example @ http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator

Yes go with the smaller SSD if you need to.

A less expensive screen for you http://www.directcan...anfuacture=ASUS

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok thanks. I will also make sure to change to one of those brand name power supplies last thing I want is for that to die on me because I wanted to save $50.

Not sure if your saying that with the SSD I have selected I will need to change my HDD if that is the case please let me know.

I also was looking on tigerdirect.ca and saw this monitor. I think it will be a good monitor just would like your opinion on it. If you think that monitor isn't very good the other ones I was looking at on that site are here.

Still not sure which options you thought might be better for cooling. here are my none liquid cooling options:

Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-$20]
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified) [+$4]
CoolerMaster V6 GT CPU Cooler (Nickle Plated Double-V Heatpipe w/ Color Changing LED Cap) (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified) [+$22]
EVGA Superclock CPU Gaming Cooler Fan [+$13]
Thermaltake FRIO Overclocking Cooler Fan (CLP0564) (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified) [+$20]
Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler (Designed for Over-Clocker King)(CLP0575) (Venom Boost Extreme OC Certified) [+$38]

I don't really care about the price difference for any of them because it is pretty minimal. Just would like to know which one would be good for my computer.

Edited by kjol21, 16 June 2012 - 03:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Not sure if your saying that with the SSD I have selected I will need to change my HDD if that is the case please let me know.

Sorry that was an error on my behalf and I have corrected it thanks.

Best monitor http://www.tigerdire...9353&CatId=5469 less expensive than the one I suggested but only after the mail in rebate.

Still not sure which options you thought might be better for cooling. here are my none liquid cooling options:

If the CPU is supplied with a stock heatsink and fan then you should use that, this you must find out for yourself from the supplier.

Advertisements

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Great thanks so much for this help I just have 2 last questions.

1. I am going to be using a wireless network connection so I need to know if I have picked the correct options. They have 4 different drop down option areas for that and I am not sure if I need what I have selected. The options I have selected are:

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None

I already have a router and modem that I am using for my laptop so I don't think I will need another one but I could be wrong. If you think I will need something else or I may not need what I have already picked you can look at the other options here. The network options are on the second page.

2. Should I select any of the Ultra Care Options? My choices are:

Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+$19]
Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+$10]
Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+$19]

Thanks for all this help.

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
WOW!!! Took my tiny brain long enough but I finally figured out what you are getting at with the SSD. Thanks for that heads up. sorry for the two posts in a row.

I have now changed the computer hard drive configuration a bit so that it now looks like this:

Hard Drive: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write (Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

I don't really understand what the difference is between a hard drive and data hard drive so I am not sure if I have those in the right option or if I should switch them. I also could change that 2TB HDD to another SSD if you think it would be a good idea. The reason why I kept the 2TB HDD is I think the storage capacity will be worth it(let me know if I am wrong).

I also have this option selected because it is free after the mail in rebate:

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: * 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write (Single Drive)

My understanding is that it kind of acts as an SSD so maybe I don't even need the 120GB SSD that I have selected. If you know more about this option please inform me because I am unsure about it.

You can look at the other options available here.

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by kjol21, 16 June 2012 - 11:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
An impressive build and a very good price, use the 60GB SSD for your favourite game/s as the storage capacity is not large enough for the many updates that will be released in future years.

Should I select any of the Ultra Care Options

No, obtain your own thermal paste and go for a proven brand such as Arctic Silver, see tutorial courtesy of Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

I don't really understand what the difference is between a hard drive and data hard drive

Technically there is no difference as data is stored on both, the term could though be appropriate in the following instance;

Hard Drive: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3, has OS and other important programs on it = the boot or primary drive.
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: * 60 GB OCZ Agility 3, has OS and other important programs backed up to it and is not used for normal operations = a data drive (example only as it would be a waste of the drives faster speed).
Data Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III, used for large amounts of storage and backing up to as opposed to a boot/primary drive

kjol21

kjol21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for all the baby steps you have taken me through.

Last two things then I will be purchasing this computer. :happy:

1. should I keep the hard drive options I have selected or should I change them.

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: * 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write (Single Drive)
Hard Drive: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write (Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Just not sure if the size of the SSD is now making that SRT redundant. the SRT is free after mail in rebate.
I could also change it so that I am getting two of those 120GB SSD's if that would be better than having the 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

2. I am going to be using a wireless network connection so I need to know if I have picked the correct options. They have 4 different drop down option areas for that and I am not sure if I need what I have selected. The options I have selected are:

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None

I already have a router and modem that I am using for my laptop so I don't think I will need another one but I could be wrong. If you think I will need something else please let me know.

Here is the link to the computer again.
The hard drive options are near the bottom of the first page.
The network options are in the middle of the second page.

Thank you again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
What I would suggest;

Hard Drive: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3, has OS and other important programs on it = the boot or primary drive.