Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN Messenger stopping Browser

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I had a problem yesterday with Firefox or IE not opening up and Microsoft Outlook wouldnt work either and I received a message indicating that "program currently being used by another application. I immediately did a "CNTRL>ALT>DELETE" and noticed that under applications that "msnmsgr> was running even though down on my taskbar on right hand side that Msn Messsenger was on standby with an "X" over it. I immediately exited the application and then my browsers and email worked correctly. However I wondered why this was happening because it never interferred before. If you require any more information please advise.

Regards

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...click on startup tab...uncheck messenger...then reboot

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
i did as you advised. On my drop down list the closest thing i have is "msmsgs". is this the one?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts