Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partition management & multi OS utilities?

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I used to use Partition Magic which has problems with Windows 7 partitions.

My system has 3 hard disks & I have been running 3 to 5 Operating systems.

I am currently using Paragon Partition Manager 10 professional & am thinking of replacing it.

AvanQuest has a utility called Partition Commander 11 & Acronis has a utility called Disk Director 11.

Does anyone here know about these utilities. Might they be the same software licensed for sale by two different companies?

Any advice relating to partition management & Multi-OS utilities would be grealy appreciated. It was easy when Partition Magic was the only game in town

Advertisements

J_Michael

J_Michael

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The Partition Magic from Norton does not support Windows 7. In windows 7 the snap-in disk mangement offers you some simple partition/disk management. What's your purpose? If the disk management could not meet your demand, you could use some third party software, such as Gparted(OSS), Disk Director(shareware),and Partition Assistant(freeware), each of them could be regarded as the latest "partition magic windows 7"

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
J Michael: Thanx for your reply. Partition Assistant does not seem to provide Multi-OS capability. I intend to check the other utilities you mentioned.

I was using Partition Magic's Boot Manager to run 5 Operating Systems, two of which were in logical partitions. The utility I am currently using does not allow for use of Logical Partitions. This could be due to my not using the correct incantations; It could be due to limitations of the utility. In any case, the utility is not as intuitive or user friendly as the old Partition Magic, which is why I am looking for a replacement.

Partition Magic managed to avoid annoying display of a menu from Windows XP's multi-boot capabilit