Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Weird, Messed Up

• Please log in to reply

Vclarity123

Vclarity123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I have played all my games before without issue, for countless hours. I recently replaced my 350W PSU for a 465W PSU and put in my ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics card. Now I put the card in prior to me having the required size PSU, and it worked for like a month or so then started to force my computer into a sleep mode and I had to unplug the computer to restart it,so I took it out and the computer was fine, it was fine, so I think I may have caused damage to the card at this point. Now i put in the PSU and put in my G-card. It worked for about a week, then out of no where started to overheat really bad and shut off my computer completely. So I took out the graphics card and replaces the PSU with the original again. But now all of my games and missing details, like there is holes in the ground that show up when I play Company of Heroes or Diablo 3. And I don't know how to explain but, units faces or guns or w/e extend across the map. A demons arm will stretch across the map, and when i play like any total war games, then units on the battle field have triangular hole in them, and the ground does also. So I was wondering if there was a way to fix this, or if I permanently messed up my computer, OH and before I forget I think i need to replace my thermal paste for my processor, if that matter any. and like I said NEVER had a problem before I KNOW my computer can handle it because it did before and never had any problems until I installed the graphics card and PSU.

Advertisements

Vclarity123

Vclarity123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HELP!

Edited by Vclarity123, 14 June 2012 - 08:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:welcome: Vclarity123

Please remember that we are all volunteers here and cannot be here all of the time as we all have families and other commitments such as work, your topic would also have been better if post on the hardware forum as it is hardware related and not game specific, no harm done though as I will assist you here.

What you are describing appears to be what is called artifacting and this can be caused by a damaged card, overheating, driver issue and a bad or underpowered PSU.

What brand is the 465W PSU?
PSUs you can trust and ones to avoid http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html

think i need to replace my thermal paste for my processor

Unless you have removed the HS (heatsink) and CPU fan you should not need to clean off and reapply the thermal paste.

Some testing for you to do;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.