Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Sharing

• Please log in to reply

dtp81390

dtp81390

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok so this is going to take sometime to explain but I hope someone can help.

I recently started a new business with a friend and we do this outside of our normal job. For our normal job we work in the same office and are in the same line of work. (our employers are ok with us moonlighting).

Anyways we have some questions about file sharing. We want to be able to share files with our work computers to our personal computers and back and forth. We dont want to use external devices and we dont want to have to upload files constantly. We work for a university and we need administrator approval to set up remote desktop or to download programs or install programs without their approval so this really isnt an option.

Is there anyway using the internet that we can share files and just save them somewhere and my partner can open that saved file and work on it and save it again. Is this possible without uploading it everytime we are finished with it.

Any help or suggestions would be great. All of the computers are running Windows Vista or Windows 7

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

We work for a university and we need administrator approval to set up remote desktop or to download programs or install programs without their approval so this really isnt an option.

This is where your problem is right now. What you are asking is our help to bypass the security settings for the school setup by the administrators. This is against our TOU as explained below.

We here at Geeks To Go cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself.
These restrictions can include (but are not limited to):
  • Website Blocking policies
  • Software Installation policies
  • Email retention policies
  • Software Configuration policies
  • Network/Internet usage policies
  • Network Configuration policies
  • Forum or Chat Room Bans
  • Game Server Bans
  • Any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question
Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate the TOU of this site.

If you have any questions or issues please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.

dtp81390

dtp81390

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We are students at the university and the computers that we use for work are also used for school and for our general use while on campus. As I need specific programs for my work and school stuff I would like to share those files with my home computer and vis versa so that I dont have to carry around external devices or upload. I am not trying to bypass the security settings at the university or anything. It is just being able to access my home files from my work computer and my school files from my home computer.

Is there a way to share files via the internet without having to upload them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As you stated honestly in your original post you would have to have permission from the admin to share those files. Without their permission I'm afraid you have no other option. They are the only ones who can allow the access you need and I'm sure if the need is a legit step they would have no problem allowing you that access.

dtp81390

dtp81390

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We do not need permission to share the files in question. They are my personal files of documents that I created and put them in a folder on my desktop. Yes there are files on the computer that we cant share but those arent the ones that I want to set up file sharing for.

The reason I brought the stuff about admin approvals was because the answer to the question would have been to set up a remote desktop connection or you can share files over your work network.

So to get the correct response to our question I wanted to be specific. We want to share files between my work/school/personal computers that are able to be shared but not in the ways mentioned above.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand your dilemma but to have access to the system as you need would leave the other files open to be used also without the admin themselves setting up the permissions to specific areas. I am going to ask one of our Network experts to take a look at this topic and if he sees no issue then he will be able to answer all your questions for you. :thumbsup:

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there,

Rshaffer called in the troops, so "tadaa!" :P

Reading all the information it looks like you are looking for a synchronize program. Much like Google Drive, DropBox or SugarSync. :) However, keep in mind that there might be restrictions set on the network that prevent the syncing from happening. But it's worth giving a shot. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Olrik

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 11 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.