Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery-Windows XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply

DJDyer

DJDyer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I reinstalled windows xp pro on a dell inspiron 2200 laptop. Now there are no icons on the desktop except the recycle bin and I can't connect to the wireless internet. I'm not sure if I've missed a step. Prior to the reinstall, I had access to the internet. Please help! Thank you!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Simple, you just reinstalled XP and by default (unless it is arecovery cd/dvd) some of your hardware drivers (network ect) are now not installed.

If you do not have a cd/dvd of your hardware drivers go to the Dell website and find the drivers you need from their support/download page.

http://www.dell.com/...rivers/us/en/19

To know which drivers is missing go to START/CONTROL PANEL/PERFORMANCE AND MAINTEANACE/SYSTEM choose the tab HARDWARE and choose DEVICE MANAGER and in there if you see any hardware with a yellow exclamation mark beside them they will need you to install the drivers for them.

Hope that helps

DJDyer

DJDyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you! I downloaded drivers to a cd from the Dell site. I've installed them to the Dell computer and working my through them. Again, thank you!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Thank you! I downloaded drivers to a cd from the Dell site. I've installed them to the Dell computer and working my through them. Again, thank you!

Glad to know everything is working out for you, good computing