Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

Chimaka

Chimaka

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It's worked fine for a year. It's been dropped a few times but it was still working. This happened quite a long time ago and I just now decided to bring it up. I have an Acer Aspire 5735. It wwon't turn on anymore. I plug the charger in and it lights up put when i press the power button, it won't turn on. Can someone help me please?

Software/Hardware used:
Acer Aspire 5735Z, Windows Vista

EDIT:
So I pressed the power button and the charging light changed from orange to green but the screen still isn't on and the laptop isn't making any noise.

Edited by Chimaka, 16 June 2012 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts
:welcome: Chimaka

Have you tried pressing the Fn + F5 keys in case the display has been toggled to external screen mode, also try Fn + F6 in case the screen has been switched to power saving mode, if no joy check that your Ram is seated securely by removing and then reinserting it, your user manual tells you how to do this http://support.acer....b=1&modelId=556

Other checks include is the HDD activity LED blinking when power is applied, hooking the notebook up to an external screen to see if you get a display, checking the backlight and inverter by shining a flashlight into the screen and looking closely to see if there are desktop icons in the background, removing the battery and using the AC adapter only and using the battery only with no AC adapter connected.

Chimaka

Chimaka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
These are the things I've tried:

1. Fn + F5 keys
2. FN + F6 keys
3. Power Reset http://acer.custhelp...tail/a_id/13677
4. Removed both RAM cards and switched their places then put then back.
5. My HDD doesn't have an activity light that I know of.
6. I shined a flashlight into my screen and looks for icons.
7. I tried to turn it on with the AC adapter only then with the battery only.

It still won't turn on or do anything. I found out the green light meant it is charged fully but not turned on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts

My HDD doesn't have an activity light that I know of.

These are typically found on the front edge of the base of the notebook, orange in colour and blink when the HDD is working.
Checking the power on button is not damaged and that the CPU cooling fan and heatsink have not become detached should be checked now, this may require the services of a local tech as dismantling a notebook is not an easy task, they can also check the MB for signs of damage which may be causing a short circuit.

Chimaka

Chimaka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks! I'll see if I can get one to look at it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,020 posts
You are welcome, good luck and please let us know how you get on.