Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to install dual linux os in single harddisk

• Please log in to reply

praveenvikram24r

praveenvikram24r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,

please guide me how to install dual linux os in single harddisk
praveen

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Hi,

First, you need to create at least five partitions, one primary and four logical.
The first should be at least 200 MB in size and formatted as Ext2. This would be used as the /boot partition, and your dual boot setup will boot from here.
The 2nd and 3rd are root partitions for your OSes. You should choose the size; around 20 GB each is OK, but use more if you have lots of space.
The 4th and 5th are swap partitions for your OSes. Their sizes should be 1.5-2x the size of your physical RAM (important if you want to use hibernation).
If you want, you can set up a large 6th partition as a shared /home partition between the two OSes.
If you want to add more operating systems, add more root and swap partitions.

You should be able to choose the mountpoint (or "role") of the partition using the OS installer's partitioner (do not format the partitions!). The installer should do the rest for you.

Edited by devper94, 18 June 2012 - 09:07 AM.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
another way would be to have shared swap space,
(i have 3gb that is accessible from both systems)

and a shared /home
(mine is accessible and used from both systems)

this way you only have 4 partitions (although in reality its 2 x primary, 1 x extended, 2 x logical located in the extended)
(i have 2 primary holding my os's and 1 extended holding /swap and /home)

pretty easy to do,
i installed one system with default settings and the second system i chose custom and used the /swap and /home from the first system

using the live cd install negates the use of creating partitions before install,

and not forgetting that you can only have 4 primary partitions per hdd, or 3 primary and 1 extended

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Shared /home might be okay, but you should never use shared swap - it prevents you from hibernating both OSes. If you don't use hibernation then it's fine though.