Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Went Fuzzy & computer crashed

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Today while doing a Malwatebytes scan, suddenly the screen started getting fuzzy, like large pixels and computer froze. I had to pull the plug to reboot. I wanted to know if this could be related to the same problem I'm having with Adobe Flash Player crashing? If not, what's going on?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
instead of pulling the plug...try pressing the reset button first...if that doesn't work press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds...

download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.softpedia...oCrashed.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply..

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
It hasn't happened again since I posted, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it happens again, I will take your suggestions under advisement.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after a week I'll close this if you don't come back

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Well, it's doing it again. It's happened three times in the past 4 days. The computer just freezes and the monitor grays out of gets odd looking streaks or pixels in it. Pressing the ESC, CTRL-ALT-DEL or the power off button has no effect. I have to actually pull the plug to turn it off. I ran MSE, MalwateBytes and SuperAntiSpyware scans. Nothing found. What is going on here?

Edited by debodun, 03 August 2012 - 09:15 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
instead of pulling the plug...try pressing the reset button first...if that doesn't work press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds...
first you need to run chkdsk /r on the hard drive and then run WhoCrashed

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I've noticed this happens after doing a CCleaner scan. Could this be related to running CCleaner or just a coincidence? I'm running CCleaner v 3.21.1767 (64-bit).

To happyrock - I don't have a reset button and holding the power button in doesn't work either.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
where's the whocrashed report

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Here's a screenshot of the CrashDump report.

Attached Thumbnails

• crashdump.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do not run ccleaner for awhile...
we need to see the CHKDSK Log
Go to Start and type in eventvwr.msc...press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry
(wininit for Win7)
(winlogon for XP).

Copy/paste the results into your next post.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I tried this and it looked like it was scanning the disk, then the popup just disappeared, so now I don't know what happened or where the log is.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I already told you where the log is...if there isn't a log then you did not run chkdsk /r...

type cmd in the search box...select it from above by right clicking cmd.exe and select run as administrator to get the cmd prompt to open ...say continue if the UAC challenge pops up
once your at the prompt
type chkdsk /r and press enter...
Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
After he last time this happened it started in Safe Mode on re-boot. Then I restarted in normal mode and the problem hasn't re-occurred (I was waiting a while to see if it did before replying). Maybe a coincidence, but I'm keeping my finghas crossed.

Edited by debodun, 22 August 2012 - 11:27 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great... :thumbsup:
if the issue come back just let us know in this topic and we can look at other things