Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difference between i3 and i5 processors.

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

How much difference would be between and i3 and i5 processors. Computer would be mostly used for email and web surfing. Is an i3 like the old Celeron's?

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

How much difference would be between and i3 and i5 processors.

Essentially the I3 I5 I7 processors have caused a lot of confusion and there are a tremendous number of factors involved in answering your question.

Is an i3 like the old Celeron's?

No, it is nothing like a Celeron. The I3 is a dual core processor. But there are 2 different I5 processors as well, and one of them is dual core and the other is quad core.

Computer would be mostly used for email and web surfing.

Depending on the price break in your market, the I3 would be fine for this type of usage. If you can get an I5 for $20 more, by all means grab it...
If you would like a better explanation and help in making your decision, check out this very good article that explains it in more detail.
http://helpdeskgeek....i7-vs-i5-vs-i3/

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks for the info and the link. Computer with an i5 will be about $100 more. Going from an older computer with 1.7GHz and 1GB of ram running 32 bit Vista to 64bit Win 7 with 4GB of ram will be a big improvement.

Thanks, Doug