Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba satellite a505-6005 windows 7 install hangs

• Please log in to reply

Souley16

Souley16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've installed windows countless times on many computers and never had an issue until I've tried doing it with my friend's Toshiba satellite a505-6005. I am doing a clean install so I chose "format partition" after the windows 7 install loads. The installation starts but always hangs when it gets to the "completing installation" steps. I've tried using the default values in the bios menu with no success. I don't have the recovery disk. I've tried different versions of windows 7 but the result is the same. The install hangs at the "completing installation" step. Any pointers?

Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the install again but be sure you use the full format option...
nojoy
IMPORTANT...unplug both computers from the wall first and remove the battery if its a laptop

try slaving the hard drive to a working computer...then format it as ntfs file system...make sure you use use the full format option not the quick option...
then put the drive back in the bad computer and try installing again

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I plugged the laptop hard drive to a docking station, long formatted it, tried again the reinstall but it still hangs, is there something I can try, could a hardware failure be the reason why the install isn't completing.

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

could a hardware failure be the reason why the install isn't completing

yep but lets try booting up puppy linix...it run completely in ram and doesn't need a hard drive
it will not use your wireless at all but you should be able to access the internet using a Ethernet cable...the guide is here...it was written for people that can't boot up windows but want to get the data off the misbehaving computer...it is a complete operating system and will use all your hardware but the wireless adapter

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I wasn't able to boot up puppy linux on the "bad computer" via CD or USB flash. I thought I was doing something wrong so I tried it on a working desktop and I was able to launch Puppy on it. Puppy linux started loading on the bad computer and I am not entirely sure but I think it gets to the step where it loads into the ram then a couple more steps, then I get a black screen. Could it be that the issue is with the ram maybe? What else can we try?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its definitely hardware

we can test the ram...guide for memtest here

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ill try the memory test and confirm if its ram... Thanks

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
MEMTEST86 reported no errors, :P I was kinda hoping it would, oh well, How else can we test for a hardware failure?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm afraid that you will have to take it to shop to have it checked out...sorry

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :thumbsup:
sorry we couldn't do more for you but trying to diagnose a hardware problem in a non booting computer without having it sitting on the bench and having the tools right there is not going to work