Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous

• Please log in to reply

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok I attached

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.jpg

Edited by urgenthelp, 06 September 2012 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not good but do you have the HwMonitor screenshot also? That +12 volt rail looks like it may be your issue but I need the other to verify it.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
there

Attached Thumbnails

• beast.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah your +12 volt rail is faulty. I would suspect that as being the cause of the current issue you are having.
Any chance of borrowing a known working good PSU to try out?

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Nope, so i have to buy one.... is there no fix i can't keep throwing money at this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In a nutshell the PSU is failing. I myself no of no way to repair of PSU without a total rebuild which honestly will probably be more then a new one would cost.
If you have access to another PSU to borrow for a day or two you can run your system with it to check if the issue still happens. The hard part is you really need to make sure it is of the same wattage as the one you have now.
The other option is to take it to a repair shop and have them test it with a ohm meter to see if they get the same readings I am seeing. If so then you will have verification the PSU is faulty.
If you don't want to do that you can ask if they can test your system with a known working PSU to see if the issue resolves itself. This also will tell you if the PSU is indeed the issue.
I think in any case you are looking at you will be spending at least a diagnostic fee for it to be checked out.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Problem after problem. Thanks anyway but this is the worst possible news

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i still don't understand why it can go days without crashing...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Because the PSU is basically losing power with that +12 volt rail as low as it is showing. The two rails we look at are the +3.3 and +12 because they are the two main rails in the PSU for powering the system. The +12 should have a reading between +11.50 and 12.25 basically to be considered working normally. It's like your electric in your house and when the lights go dim for a split second or so during what is known as a brown out. The power actually never goes out but the interruption of a constant feed may cause your tv or computer to restart or turn off. That is what is happening with your PSU right now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I agree.
There is one very slight possibility and it is slight, are you connected on an anti surge bar
if so try a connction straight to the AC supply

Advertisements

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I agree.
There is one very slight possibility and it is slight, are you connected on an anti surge bar
if so try a connction straight to the AC supply

Too technical for me? how would i check if i am on one or not?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a surge protector that you system plugs into or does it pluf directly to the wall?
Below is a surge protector.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i'm not sure what a surge protector is but mine is a multi as in it goes into a thing like that a multi tap with 3 other plugs , and then that goes to the wall

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Got a picture of it or can you get a picture of it?
They come in all kinds of designs as the one I attached is just a simple type of them. Some are 2 rows of plugins.
If you have one what Mac is suggesting is unplug your system from it and plug your system directly into the wall. See if that helps. It is a very long shot but worth a try at this point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a look HERE and you can see lots of designs of the surge protectors.