Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted recovery partition now can't boot OS

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well I do not think you can do much until you can make that disc.
We do not close topics on Geeks to Go, so you just come back as and when you can.
Then we will guide you through the procedure

Advertisements

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks I'm very appreciative.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
May I suggest something before that first? To the techs, please correct me if I'm mistaken. And I apologize if this is a waste of time.

To robinshawn, you said that you deleted recovery partition. Did you do anything else at the time related to the partitions?

It might be that the main active partition no longer exists (and so the Partition Table is a bit confusing for the computer to read) and so a boot flag needs to be set for the partition you're trying to boot into.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
The following steps should be safe to do as it doesn't involve changing anything. Just after a picture. Hope I'm not causing any inconvenience.

1. From a working computer, please download the following: gparted-live-0.12.1-5.iso

When you have the .ISO file downloaded, you need to create a bootable CD using a working computer to do that. The .ISO file is a disk image. It should NOT be burned as a regular file. You need a program like BurnAware Free or ImgBurn that can burn an .ISO image.

2. Now, please boot off of the newly created GParted CD. See How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM for information on how to boot from the CD.

You should arrive to the following screen:
Posted Image
Press the ENTER key

Posted Image
By default, "do not touch keymap" is highlighted. Leave this setting alone and press the ENTER key.

Posted Image
Next, choose your language and press the ENTER key. English is the default setting [33]

Posted Image
Once again, at this prompt, press the ENTER key.

You will now be taken to the main GUI screen below
Posted Image

Please take a picture of this screen (camera or phone pictures will work just fine), and post it here for us to see.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Excellent! I'm at work but I've finally found a windows 7 computer to work on. Unfortunately it's not close by so I can't get there til tomoro morning. I will post picture if this works Amlak as well as follow up on other things previously suggested. I will wait for ur reply Amlak if I can get to the final result & am able to post a picture. Thanks again everyone! U hav NO idea how greatful I am.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
That's good to know, robinshawn. Since you can't use the Windows 7 CD now, you might as well give my set of instructions a go anyway.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Amlak
Thanks for coming in, I know you are a bit of an expert on this - post 26 may provide a clue

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
To be honest, I wouldn't know how to make good use of such a clue (I just know that using any partition manager can stuff up the system if the active partition is gone). And now that I read the whole thread more carefully, I share the same concern as yours that robinshawn may have accidentally installed Linux over his/her Windows. So I hope it isn't the case.

Edited by Amlak, 30 June 2012 - 07:31 PM.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok got a pic from Gparted but can't figure out how 2 put it up & I'm a photographer used 2 attaching pic files 2 everything lol! Gonna keep trying but if no one sees it wen u chk in pleez send instructions.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You save your photo as a jpeg you then go use full editor and attach
you may need to resize the jpeg - it will tell you if it is too large

when you go use full editor you will see click to attach files and you will also see help with attaching

Advertisements

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
IMG_2856.jpg

Macboatmaster hope this helps i'm standing by the computer most of the afternoon.look forward to further instructions.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It does not look good to me, but I will defer to Amlak on this one.
You will have to wait until he comes online

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
k :upset:

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well geeks i'm leaving the environment w-the computer. hopefully i can get anyone who replies on my cell phone so that i can continue to try to get my computer functioning. doesn't sound too hopeful tho :-( will continue til all options hav been explored.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I'm not sure what that exclamation mark indicates, and it doesn't look like the Recovery partition was ever deleted. Am I missing something here?

But give the following a try (if it doesn't work, we can always reset the change):

Go back to that screen.

Under "Flags", Right-click >>>>/dev/sda3<<<< while in GParted and select Manage Flags

In the menu that pops up, place a check mark in boot like the picture below:
Posted Image

Now double-click the Posted Image button.

You should receive a small pop up like this:
Posted Image
Choose reboot and then press OK.

Note: If it won't allow you to do any change on it, please click on the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark and let me know what it says.