Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted recovery partition now can't boot OS

• Please log in to reply

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Happy 4th everyone! I'm going to try this and I'll let u kno how it goes :-)

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Cool. Awaiting the outcome.

After reviewing the image again, this sounds more like an issue with the OS partition rather than the partition table in general. In the very likely case it won't allow you to change any setting for that partition, you'll have to try out chkdsk /r (which I believe you never did do even though wannabe1 instructed you to do so).

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Cool. Awaiting the outcome.

After reviewing the image again, this sounds more like an issue with the OS partition rather than the partition table in general. In the very likely case it won't allow you to change any setting for that partition, you'll have to try out chkdsk /r (which I believe you never did do even though wannabe1 instructed you to do so).

Don't remember exactly wat wannab1 instructed but all that I hav been able to do anything with is loading puppy Linux & rescuing my files, loading this Gparted and getting the picture attached & now I'm waiting becuz the instructions from you yesterday has my computer running some kind of diagnostic? Or perhaps a reboot? Not exactly sure waiting to c wat the end result is. So I tried everything else I was instructed w-no results including chkdsk. I'm not sure if I reported but I also ran a system repair disk on a windows 7 64 bit computer. Is that something that cud b used? Well doesn't matter looks like watever is happening on my computer is going to b running for awhile. It's been running for hours. I took som cell phone pics but can't upload them w-my cell. If there's another way to get them to u I'm listening :-)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My colleague Amlak will post regarding the aspect he is dealing with when he comes online

However you mention on your last post that

I also ran a system repair disk on a windows 7 64 bit computer. Is that something that cud b used?

I am confused because I suggested that on my post 28 and provided you with the instructions on how to make one., and then you posted that you could not access a computer with W7.
So could you explain a little more to what exactly you are asking when you say - as underlined on your quote

Please note - no need to quote the whole of my post in your reply.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The steps:
1. Cudnt get to a windows 7 OS so did post# 34.
2. Posted results from that and followed post #45.
3. Computer is currently running some kind of scan, has been most of the day.
4. While this computer has been doing watever it's doing per post #45 I hav gotten a system repair disc.
5. Posted this info & now am explaining steps per request.
Please remember 90% of this has been communicated via my iPhone. Missing something is very possible but I think I've followed instructions in the order I cud. I started the GParted stuff BEFORE I had access to a computer w-windows 7. NOW I have a repair disc.
Thanks

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Hi, robinshawn. I'll leave you now to Macboatmaster to let you know what to do with the repair disc.

But for the record, my last set of instructions did not require you to do a scan at all. :confused:

You need to be clear and post details on what you did exactly and what goes on with your computer in order for us to be able to help you in exactly the right way.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With respect and perhaps it is partly my fault, we are having difficulty communicating, both from you understanding what I am asking and me following what you mean.

I was asking you what you meant by

I also ran a system repair disk on a windows 7 64 bit computer. Is that something that cud b used?

The reason I was aking, is because I had ALREADY suggested it and sent you the instructions on how to create one if necessary

The main point of the question is - what exactly were you asking
  • A system repair disc is not the same as a OEM factory recovery/restore disc.
  • You cannot do a repair install or install Windows 7 with a system repair disc.
  • A system repair disc can only be used to repair Windows 7 through the system recovery options.
  • 32-bit System Repair Disc can only be created on a 32-bit Windows 7.
  • 64-bit System Repair Disc can only be created on a 64-bit Windows 7.
  • 32-bit System Repair Disc can only be used to repair a 32-bit Windows 7.
  • 64-bit System Repair Disc can only be used to repair a 64-bit Windows 7.
so if you have read the link I sent, if you were asking which disc can be used the above is the answer
If you were simply asking can a repair disc be used, then YES as that is what wannabe1 and I suggested

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that it is NOT too much at once.

As My colleague says there is no reason why his recommendations for gparted should result in a scan

I recommend that you shut down if the system is still after hours and hours running some process

I then recommend that yoju go back to my colleagues post and start again with his guide

DOES this help

If boot is not next to your OS drive under Flags , right-mouse click the OS drive while in Gparted and select Manage Flags

BOOT is NOT next to your Operating system drive, therefore you follow the guide from my colleague

so you right click the drive that is shown as sda3 with 448 Gb and then Manage flags, as your image shows boot on the recovery partition.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok let me start from the beginning as I can see we are all confused. I kno I was instructed 2 create a repair disc but I cudnt gain access to a windows 7 environment so I got the Gparted file and followed amlaks instruction. I didn't start the scan it started wen I followed amlaks specific instructions. I do not know why a scan or watever it was started.
I got the system recovery disc AFTER I did all of the Gparted instructions. I got to use a friends computer that had windows 7 and I followed the instructions that I think macboatmaster posted. While this crazy whozamathingy has been running, all day, I posted that I NOW have a system repair disc & asked if that wud b helpful. I didn't have this disc before I started Gparted. I have NOT done anything but wat I have been instructed to do I'm just posting as things are happening based on the instructions. So to reiterate. I have no clue why my computer was doing wat it was doing. I have shut it down and now I'm as confused as everyone else is.
So I'm hoping this clarifies things. I'm not going to touch this freaking computer til in the morning AFTER I read responses to this. Sorry it's so confusing but I do appreciate ur help. Apparently my computer has a mind of its own & it's being a BAAAD computer :-) talk tomoro everyone!

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Can you give us details about this scan? Post some key words and such. Was it a disk check by any chance?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please answer my colleagues question. This is for your later consideration

However to deal with the issue of the repair disc and your question

I got to use a friends computer that had windows 7 and I followed the instructions that I think macboatmaster posted. While this crazy whozamathingy has been running, all day, I posted that I NOW have a system repair disc & asked if that wud b helpful. I didn't have this disc before I started Gparted

wud be helpful?

YES of course it maybe as that is what we recommended, it may still be needed.

see my post 52 please
YOU appeared to suggest, previously, although I am not certain, I have it right that this disc was created on a windows 7 64 bit system

If I have it correct
64-bit System Repair Disc can only be used to repair a 64-bit Windows 7

.so now the question is IS your system a 64 bit system

HOWEVER as I said please just follow my colleagues guidance for making the sda3 partition the boot partition

and finally we do appreciate how hard this is for YOU

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
"But for the record, my last set of instructions did not require you to do a scan at all. :confused:"

hi amlak,i think i can help make some of what happened yesterday more cohesive. i have been on the computer today trying to understand and recreate my steps yesterday so i could pass along what happened and why my computer was doing what it was doing. when you asked me to run the gparted disc i did and followed the steps as laid out. after pressing enter at the last reboot screen it blinked but it did nothing to bring windows up. i thought perhaps i had done something wrong so i booted to the gparted disc again and this time is when the scan(?)ran. does that make any sense to you? i cannot say if it's a chkdsk or anything else because i don't know what that would look like. i'm going to try and send you the pics i took yesterday of this scan or whatever it was. in the meantime i went back and clicked on the exclamation point & this is what came up:
info about /dev/sda3
/dev/sda3
file system: ntfs
size: 448.14
path: /dev/sda3
label: OS
first sector: 36944325
last sector: 976771119
total sectors: 939826795
warning: ntfs resize v2012.1.15AR.5 (libntfs-3g)
device name: /dev/sda3
ntfs volume version: 3.1
cluster size:4096 bytes
current volume size: 481191318016 bytes(481192 MB)
current device size: 481191319040 bytes(481192 MB)
error: this software has detected that the disk has at least one bad sector.
warning: blah blah
unable to read contents of this file system! because of this operations may be unavailable.
the cause may be a missing software pkg. the following list of software pkgs is required for NTFS file system support. ntfsprogs/ntfs-3g.

does this make sense to you? again i'm working on getting the scan pics to you from my cell phone but currently i am on a library computer and almost out of my alloted time. i will log in from my cell, which is in the car charging, as soon as it's up and running. i'll check back in then to see what you think may be happening here.

Edited by robinshawn, 05 July 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Thanks for answering and making things more clear. This sounds like a dying hard drive to me (and not what I initially thought in the beginning). I had thought that maybe the Recovery Partition was corrupted in some way (since you did say you "deleted" it or something).

The good news is you have your data already backed up. So that's one good thing.

I'll leave it now to the tech Macboatmaster to let you know what to do about the hard drive.

Good luck and hope it isn't the hard drive dying.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks so much for your help amlak! I'm so glad the info helped clarify things. although a dying hard drive isn't the best news perhaps I'm nearing the end of this problem. Hi macboatmaster! Any suggestions? Wud now be the time to use the system repair disc? I'm not positive but I do think it's a 64 bit system like the disc I created. Waiting patiently... :-)

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
O one more thing. R laptop HDs interchangeable? I have another HD from a Toshiba I think but am not sure about interchangeability.