Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking XP sp3 and win7- tips?

• Please log in to reply

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi I'm running a home network with an xp Pro SP3 machine - which as far as I know has the most up-to-date updates - a WIn7 Starter netbook and a vista laptop. The problem seems to emanate from the XP machine as periodically it says '[Worgroup] Flat is inaccessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator... bla bla. The network path was not found.' It just basically isn't visible on the network.

In the past I had a different problem on the same machines with XP/7 failing to connect properly and I was advised to install Windows Resource Kit Tools on the XP machine. Which seemed to do the trick at the time. Now as I said, this was a solution to a slightly different problem, but as a matter of course, to troubleshoot the current problem, I always uninstall RK tools, then turn off file/printer sharing in XP, then unshare all the HDDs I usually share. I then reverse the process. This sometimes fixes it.

I have the same password on all machines. I have guest accounts enabled on all machines. I have File & Printer sharing enabled on all machines. I have password protected sharing switched off on win 7 netbook and it's on home network setting.

Basically no settings have been changed and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

I have recently noticed on the XP machine, when I run the Network Identification Wizard in System Properties, it always seems to be stuck on business network, instead of home network which I set it to whenever I have this problem. Is this relevant? Also it may tend to bugger up after I connect my WD Passport HDD... can't say for certain but there may be a pattern. Any connection there possibly?

Please, any up-to-date tips on getting XP, win 7 machines networked reliably would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Tony

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Perhaps a silly suggestion and a big long-shot, but have you tried changing the "workgroup" to name other than the default? (which is "workgroup")

Regards,
Olrik

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Artellos,
Thanks for your reply. I have my own workgroup name. Although I tend to change it back to the default while resetting things then change it back to my usual one. However I only seemt o be stabbing in the dark here, because the only way I could seem to get it back working this time was by creating a completely NEW workgroup name on all the computers... Just seems so random.

The other thing is - the main 'server' pc running xp pro couldn't even sign into its OWN workgroup for a while - then it suddenly decided it could when I renamed the workgroup - which makes me think it could be one of the OTHER machines that was at fault.
Really I should make a step by step troubleshoooting procedure so it's not a random, wild button pushing session each time it goes wrong! lol

Anyone have any good resources?
T

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
maskedwarrior

Firstly, may I say that I am not a network guru.

In fact what I know about it could be written on the back of a postage stamp. My colleague Artellos will I am sure, when he returns have other suggestions for you, but I just wondered, in view of the fact that you have this error message

Flat is inaccessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator... bla bla. The network path was not found

If it maybe a Firewall issue
Firewalls other than the Windows one, Zone alarm and Norton as examples are known to cause issues and each of the other two computers must be entered as allowed through the firewall on each computer

Also permissions for each user, must be the same on each computer, or should I say each user, logged when the problem has occurred.

This link will assist, I think, the main links in the introduction are no longer live, but the posts that follow contain the information.

http://social.techne...ef-261048ca16b6

It also appears that this has been found useful and that is mentioned in the link above
http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5577

and again the firewall issue
http://social.techne...c6-d0f8b09603a4

If you have already covered these possibilities, then as I said at the start, I am not a networking expert.

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oooooh there's lots there for me to look through, that's exactly what I was after thanks. I'll have a read later today and let everyone know if it was helpful to my specific problem. T

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for the reply, best of luck

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
maskedwarrior

Just wondered how you were going with this

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, thanks fro asking. Well since I posted I renamed the workgroup and the problem's been OK. ie network not dropping out. I can share files and printers.

Due to the nature of this problem I don't want to fiddle with it too much as I depend on the network somewhat. SO when it goes wonky again (which may be when I next attach my WD Passport drive, we'll see!!) I'll try some of the wisdom in your links. I'm sure you understand the delicate place I'm in lol

Do you mind if I can keep this thread open as it is an ongoing, intermittent problem and I think in the long run someone may benefit from tracking its progress?

Many thanks,
Tony

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We do not close topics on Geeks to Go they just naturally fade away over time.
Good luck with it