Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

local ISP Internet Call Manager will not work.

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
I have encountered a problem with a paid-for Internet Call Manager from local phone company. After communication with them on numerous occasions and multiple down-loads of the file it has been to no avail The file which downloads is ICM.EXE running in around 1 megs. At first i was having problems with the install, so I went to Microsoft and downloaded the Windows Installer fix, but that didnt help either. Would you need a log of my pc to ascertain if there is something else going on wrong with my pc behind the scenes?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
More detail is required please
Who is the provider and what file exactly is it you are trying to install

Is the file necessary for the connection - if so presumably you are downloading this and the windows installer on another computer

What is the make and full model of your computer if branded please

Or if not what motherboard and how is the internet connection made - hard wired, wireless

In either case is it a add-on by way of a wireless usb or card or a ethernet card etc

Can you download and install other items such as windows updates etc.

Please provide all relevant information.

What do the phone company say of the situation.

Finally is this the same computer as the one where my colleague happyrock was assisting - this topic to which we await a response
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
The supplier of the ICM is Bell Aliant.(www.bellaliant.com)
This is for a dial-up connection
I m using Windows XP Professional with Office 2003
The set-up file properties is Internet Call Manager v8.24.0.23 Installation
The software run file is InstallICM.EXE
AMD™Sempron Processor +3000
I am ignorant of the kind of Motherboard

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
This is same computer that Happyrock was dealing with in regards to Firefox, IE and Microsoft Outlook was being hindered by MSN Messenger, topic MSN Messenger stopping Browser

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The reason I asked is that I wondered and still do if the problems were connected therefore please acquaint us with the results of what happyrock suggested by updating the other topic.
Thanks

Note please post here when you have done so, as I will then receive the notification of the post

and what do the phone company opine please

Unfortunately it appears that I may bot be able to assist you as much as I would wish
http://csc.bellaliant.net/start

I cannot get the download for the internet call manager, which I see does not actually provide the dial up service, but allows telephone calls to be routed to the Bell server so that you do not miss them whilst using dial up

I see you have to pay for that service.
Would an answerphone provide a cheaper and more effective solution - only a suggestion.

Frequent causes of software failing to download are an anti-virus program, firewall, I suggest you try disabling those - DO NOT PLEASE forget to renable

I also see that when you enter the phone number you are then provided with the download.
Have you tried downloading in Safe Mode or alternatively try downloading to the system admin account.

On XP Prof - key ctrl alt del twice at logon screen and the system admin account should then be available
That is not your usual user acc with admin rights.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
waynf

I wondered how you went on with this problem

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
Actually I have done very little about it and walked away from the problem because other non-computer issues came up. Now I just go on-line when I know no one will call which is what happens when you are a retired widow with very little friends. I shall be digging into the problem this week and let you know how i make out.