Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Running Very Slowly

• Please log in to reply

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

This kinda relates to: HiJack This Post

Basically, my girlfriend's parent's PC has been infected with spyware and viruses and i've pretty much tidied it up (i think) but the PC now runs slow from time to time. I have installed a fair few new programs such as AVG, Ad-Aware, etc which will obviously slow it a little but the problem i think lies elsewhere.

The most obvious example of this is when i look at the task manager and the performance tab, the CPU usage quite often seems to be stuck at 100%. Everything naturally runs slow when this happens.

Does anybody know what is happening and how i can fix it?

Thanks in advance :tazz: .

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sit tight and wait until a malware expert comes along....you have the W32/Rbot-ABD trojan backdoor

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Wow! 4 mins for the first response - excellent work!

I'll do as you say and wait for someone who knpws more about this type of thing.

Cheers.

edit: I just thought i'd better warn whoever's going to be looking at this that it is likely that this will be quite long winded as the PC is at my gf's parents house so it will involve a fair amount of running backwards and forwards. They need to use it almost everyday (but not on the net).

Edited by thedarkprince, 04 June 2005 - 06:00 AM.