Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to Press F1 OR F2 To Continue!

• Please log in to reply

NorthstarATL

NorthstarATL

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi! I received an Etower 366c from Emachines and only wish to use it as a backup. It has Windows 98 on it, and probably couldn't handle much more, though I cannot get into Windows to discover the details. I plugged it in yesterday close to a wall outlet to see if it worked, and indeed it did, though it required a clock reset. I then moved it to another outlet on a desk, where I could make use of it, and upon booting I got the emachines screen and then this:
Amibios © 1999 American Megatrends Inc.
Version 1.20
Cyrix MII-366
Checking NVRAM..
98304KB OK
Wait...
106: CMOS Checksum Bad
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue_
with the dash flashing. Nothing happens when I hit either F1 OR F2. At first I considered that it might be that the keyboard wasn't being recognized, but replacing the keyboard did nothing. I looked online, and it seemed that it might be a battery issue, but I replaced the battery and still get the same screen. I have also tried F2, F8, F11, F12, and Delete at bot in order to possibly bypass the message screen and enter BIOS, but no luck. I am on disability and have no extra money, so making some use out of the computer, if only for backup storage is important to me. Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I do appreciate that you say you are struggling for finance but if this is connected with the other issue, where my colleague happyrock was helping - re the lack of space on D drive - it is far easier and indeed far more effective to remove the hard drive and buy an enclosure - connect it usb to the other computer and use the hard drive as an external drive.

format it and then simply back up ot that
http://www.ebay.co.u...re&geo_id=32101

Going back to the actual problem, it is more than likely connected with the flat CMOS battery - check the battery is inserted correctly please

That all said unless it has been upgraded it only has a 3.4 GB internal ATA drive, so you will not be backing up very much.
AND even if you can get it working, it has 98Mb RAM, so you are absolutely correct it will not run even XP

The processor runs at 251Mhz - it will not process very much.

To be perfectly honest and I hope you are not offended it is unworthy of you spending time OR certainly any money on it

NorthstarATL

NorthstarATL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for responding! No, this isn't related to the earlier D Drive issue. That was successfully resolved. I have an almost empty D drive, LOTS of back-up DVDs AND Cloud storage! (I'm a little obsessive due to losing everything in March!) It's more that the Etower/emachine won't be all that useful for anything other than minor storage, learning a few things, and doing some writing. However, unless I can get past the opening message it's completely worthless.
As far as whether the battery is inserted correctly, how can I tell? I've tried both batteries, and the computer boots to the screen that gives the F1/F2 option, but won't allow me to go any further. I'm not sure how to check.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well if you put the replacement battery in the same way as the other came out and the replacement battery is a known good one, then it is of course the correct way.

Hopefully you disconnected power when you removed and inserted the battery

Most likely near to the battery are three pins with a jumper across two of them, below the pins -or above them will likely be the word rst or similar that is reset cmos

take the battery out - test it if you have any douibt it is good with a multimeter - move the jumper to reset eg from the two it is on to the other two of the three reinsert the battery and try again

There probably is a CMOS jumper pin on your motherboard that you can also move, it should look like this:
Default - [o o] o
Reset - o [o o]

or similar

NorthstarATL

NorthstarATL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Sorry it took so long to respond. I bought a third battery and inserted it, and the same screen and inability to have any key register with the hard drive continues. I could not find any jumpers on the motherboard. I am not that much of a tech, though. It's possible I'm not looking for the right thing. There IS a diagram on the inside of the case, but I cannot get my head at the right angle to read/memorize it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is it a usb keyboard or PS2

NorthstarATL

NorthstarATL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
PS2. I've tested five of them.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
With the symptoms you have pressing F1 or F2 should get you where you need to go.
Pulling the battery will set the cmos back to default (which you did).
It indicates a flat battery (or installed wrong). It does not make sense why the keyboard does not work though.

Please check the battery again. If it is in correct, then you should be able to read the numbers on it. Also the side of the battery that has more curvature will be in towards the board.
There is a n off chance the board is bad (have seen that on some work computers) for the battery issue. Could also be why the keyboard is not seen.
Do you get any keyboard lights flashing when you boot up?
Is there a chance you have the keyboard and mouse cables swapped where they plug in?

NorthstarATL

NorthstarATL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
The key strokes ARE making an impact in that the computer responds internally. It's just that no combination allows access to the BIOS, and nothing causes the screen I described to give way to anything else.
I played around a bit more with removing and resetting memory, etc. to see if that had any effect.But, no difference.
I could swear I smelled something heating up, and shut the works down for awhile. It might truly be a lost cause.

Edited by NorthstarATL, 21 June 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I could swear I smelled something heating up

Not a good sign, could well be the cause of the problems.
Older motherboards and CPU`s did not have the protection circuits of modern boards.

Is the CPU fan running.?

Leave the case open and boot you will see if it is.

To be honest as I said at the start, the system really is unlikely to be of much use even if you get it working.