Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PC build help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
helping a friend build a pc and im trying to make it hi-mid range for gaming without costing too much. i came up with a list of parts and had another friend revise them, but i just want a second opinion to make sure everything will work together or if some of the parts should be changed out for others.

mother board -
GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) - chosen because friend said to use fm1 (for w/e reason didnt question) and then recommended a processor.

processor -
recommended by friend - AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz - was told this would be plenty good for gaming but im on the edge about it.
i was thinking - AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz - for the small cost increase this one is unlocked so i can overclock it so id think it to be worth it.

*for both of those, MoBo and Cpu, i dont know too much about the difference in socket type or brand differences so please help :).*

video card -
picked out - XFX Double D HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 - going to flash to a 6970, similar to the card i have and i like mine so of course id say this one.

*do want to make sure it goes with everything else though >.>*

picked out - Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - felt like a good price for good ram. any thoughts?

cooling -
picked out - CORSAIR H80 - along with being recommended by friend i figured it would be a good choice to keep the processor cool even if i overclock it.

Power supply -
picked out - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified - was told it was fine with set up, other than that have no idea ^ ^.

*if power isn't enough or if that is just a bad one please suggest a better one*

picked out - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s - good size and seems like it will work.

and then a simple dvd/cd driver nothing fancy

this computer will be heavily used for gaming but he also writes and edits music.

any help or approval will be greatly appreciated and don't be to critical this is the first set up I've worked on lol

thank you for reading ^ ^

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,715 posts
:welcome: AurenX

Below is guidance and no criticism is intended, I would go with your choice of CPU :thumbsup:

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.
MBs QVL http://www.gigabyte.....aspx?pid=3930#

Your suggested CPU is on the MBs QVL but your Ram is not, also please note what is says at the link for your Ram;

Give your gaming PC more muscle with Patriot Gamer G2 Series memory, which is specifically designed for the second Intel Core processor & Intel 6 series platform. Crush your enemies and jump to the top of the scoreboard!

8GB of compatible Ram from the MBs QVL http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231314 the sweet spot for Windows 7 64-bit is 8GB of Ram.

Are you aware that if you use anything other than the heatsink and fan supplied with the CPU you will invalidate the warranty, AMD are clear on this;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Good choice of HDD, video card and PSU but I do not see an operating system listed, see my canned speech below;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

I hope that you find this information helpful and if you have any questions please ask.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you for the response.
i completely over looked the thing about the ram =X, not sure what problems it would cause but I'm fine switching.

i am aware of the warranty being void if using a different cooler, but I'm going to test it beforehand to make sure it fully works and then switch over so that i can overclock without worrying about overheating.

and yes i was going to put the OS on the list but figured that wouldn't be too much of a problem.
will be getting a legal copy of windows 7. unless he wants something else for some reason

and sorry i listed 2 CPUs which would you say to go with?

Edited by AurenX, 20 June 2012 - 12:46 AM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,715 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

and sorry i listed 2 CPUs which would you say to go with?

I would go with your choice of CPU :thumbsup:

Sorry I meant your preferred choice http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819106001