Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Video Driver Unknown

• Please log in to reply

GreenTea96

GreenTea96

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently received my uncle's old Windows XP (Gateway Model GT5040), however he had recently done something to wipe a pesky virus off of the computer (not sure what it was if it'll help I can find out), and it messed up a couple drivers along with it. In device manager it would show what kind of driver was missing with a big yellow question mark beside it. This wouldn't be a problem except my uncle lost the discs to the computer so I can't reinstall or update the drivers! I was able to get all but 2 of the drivers from gateway's website: an unknown device and the video driver. Any games I install won't recognize that I have a video card because of this. I've tried a couple things to get this video driver, and they haven't worked. First I went to the gateway website and tried to install the video driver for my model, but the driver wouldn't install. Then my dad suggested that it was a video driver from a different model. We checked the device instance Id through device manager and after googling that I found that this was always attached to it: Intel® 82945 Express Chipset Family. After googling that name I was able to come up with the file name D20041-002-002.exe and was able to find that file on Gateway's website. However, this driver was for Windows Vista, not XP. I figured I still might as well give it a try, so after creating a system restore point, I installed the driver. It didn't appear to have any negative effects on the computer, but while the device instance Id matched, in device manager its status was shown as this: "Windows cannot load this device driver for this hardware. Driver may be corrupt or missing (code 3)". I tried running a game to see if it would at least run now and it still wont. So, does anyone know what to do in this situation? How can I find a driver that will work with my computer? Should I uninstall the driver or would it be better to use the system restore point? I apologize for the long post, I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I'm also not very good at computer stuff, so sorry if I sound dumb.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: GreenTea96

The specs for the Gateway Model GT5040 show that the MB (motherboard) has an onboard video chip + the option to fit an add on pci-e X16 video card, do you happen to know which you are using, if you have both options you will have two blue VGA ports and/or possibly a DVI port also.

To see what drivers it is that you are missing run the program at the attached link http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Post back with an update when you are ready.

GreenTea96

GreenTea96

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks so much for replying! My computer has one VGA port and no DVI port. I'm pretty sure I have the onboard video chip, but I'm not 100% sure, is there a way to check? I ran the program from the link. For the Video driver it came up with Intel 82945G Integrated Graphics 1, but I think it's the same driver as the Vista one I already tried to download because the Pnp Id for this one is the same as the Device Instance Id for the Vista Driver. Is there a way to make this driver work on a xp?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi GreenTea96

My apologies for the delay in my reply :(

Please run the software at the attached link to confirm a driver selection http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/