Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD page fault in nonpaged area and ndis.sys

• Please log in to reply

RainingDawn

RainingDawn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, i was using my computer (windows xp) when the BSoD showed up, with an error of page fault in nonpaged area for NDIS.sys and the technical details as STOP 0x00000050
so i restarted the computer.
but after the black screen with the windows logo loading page, the same bsod keeps showing up, no matter how many times i reset the computer.
i cannot go into safe mode as it gets stuck when loading.

i dont think i changed anything in the computer recently, unless you count updating mozilla firefox.
but the previous month i had a different error without the bsod ( stuck at welcome screen) which i fixed by a restore point recovery console.
after that the bsod appeared a few times, but restarting the computer managed to fix it

is it possible to use recovery console to repair this bsod also? i need to keep the data in that computer (My Documents and firefox bookmarks) so i would like to avoid reinstalling windows / reformatting or sending to a pc shop. if this is possible or there are other ways to fix this without losing data, please teach me step-by-step as i am not a computer whiz :(

i tried to use the restore point method again but this time i couldnt get to the directory with the restore points.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi RainingDawn ... :wave: ..:welcome:

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. pick the version and service pack option that corresponds to your system
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

if the above does not allow you to boot normally then try the steps below one at a time and only try the next step if you still can't boot normally...there is no need to do all the steps...just do them until you can boot up
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

RainingDawn

RainingDawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
wow, thanks for the long post! i'll try that soon XD
will the ARCDC change anything in this working computer? and i'll still keep data like firefox bookmark in the computer with the error?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

will the ARCDC change anything in this working computer

nope... your only using that computer to create the cd that has the recovery console

and i'll still keep data like firefox bookmark in the computer with the error?

yep...

RainingDawn

RainingDawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i already have problems with the first step.

it loaded to 63% at stage 1? it did not put which stage it is at.

then there is a message: "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

gonna try the other steps...

RainingDawn

RainingDawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i dont dare to do the 2nd step (fixmbr)

when i typed it in it says : "

caution

this computer appears to have a non-standard or invaild master boot record.
FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.
this could cause all partitions on the current hard drive disk to become inaccessible.
if you are not having problems with your hard drive disk, do not continue.
are you sure you want to write a new MBR?"
i put no :(

RainingDawn

RainingDawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
fixboot : the target partion is C: are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partion C:? i put no, in case

bootcfg /scan : scanning all disks for windows installation. please wait, since this might take a while... error: failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations this error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. use chkdsk to detect any disk errors."

oh nooooss D:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your hard drive is failing and will have to be replaced...you can try slaving it to a working computer to recovery any data you don't have backed up...or you could try booting a puppy linux cd that will run in ram to see if you can save your data that way