Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Lunar Linux on older Toshiba laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Turner19

Turner19

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, so my girlfriend has this Toshiba Satellite. It is completely screwed up. It's like a thousand years old, the screen doesn't stay up, and it has to stay plugged in because it has no battery. I know, she should just get a new one and put this poor thing out of its misery. I even offered to buy her one. But for some reason she's insisting on keeping it and giving it a make over. And I don't know why, but she thinks I'm like the God of Computers or something because she's begging me to fix it. Now, I'm okay with some things but I am in no way a computer genius.

She told me she had been doing research on operating systems and asked me to put Lunar Linux on this thing. I'm not very familiar with Linux at all, other than having used some friends' computers with Ubuntu and Mint. So I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what the heck I'm doing here.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Turner19

I apologise that you have waited for a reply.
Occasionally this does occur, due to the vast number of posts on the site.

So I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what the heck I'm doing here.

I have read your post, but I am not quite certain what you are asking. If you are asking how to install a Linux based system the full instructions for Ubuntu are here together with the download

http://www.ubuntu.com/

and generally selecting a Linux based system
http://www.linux.org...ux-distribution

HOWEVER if this

, the screen doesn't stay up

is a hardware problem, such as the inverter - if it is laptop, or the GPU - graphics processing unit, as against a software issue, the graphics driver, then the installation of a LInux based system will not of course assist

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Lunar is a source-based rolling distro (somewhat similar to Gentoo). It is really hard to install without some knowledge and experience with Linux and the command line. I think you are better off installing something easier like Ubuntu or Mint.

There is an installation guide here: http://wiki.lunar-li...ux:Installation

Turner19

Turner19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, thanks guys. I tried telling her I was not the guy for the job, but she wanted me to try. I'm just gonna have to tell her I'm out of my depth. Thanks for your help though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As you wish, but we are more than willing to help, either to install Inux or to try and repair the existing installation