Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD writer keeps ejecting

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have an HP desktop computer with XP and it came with bundled software, so I have no XP installation CD. Lately when I try to burn a CD it takes several tries to get the disk I am burning to stay put long enough to start to burn it. It keeps ejecting itself. I looked at my device manager and clicked on "update Driver" in that window, and it told me there are no updates available. So I don't know what else to do to get this to work.

I also notice when I insert a CD of pictures, etc, I am no longer getting the prompt window asking me what I want to do, like copy or view them. I sometimes see a light blinking, then it usually ejects itself. I do have a Roxio burner CD that I added to my computer later. Would it help to uninstall the Roxio burner, and reinstall it? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
was it doing the same thing before you installed the Roxio burner software

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No. I installed the Roxio a year or two ago, and until lately had been working fine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the quick easy fix is to replace the optical drive...if its a sata drive go here $15.00

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I don't know much about computers, is the ejecting problem a sure sign that the drive is failing and needs to be replaced? It does work when I finally make it "catch" and stay in so the burn proceeds.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I just tried to play a music cd, and I did not get a prompt window. So I went to My Computer and clicked on the drive and clicked "play". I get this message "this file doesn't have a program associated for performing this action. Create an association in folder options". But I can get the CD to play by clicking "file/open" and all the song files I can view and then I can click on each one and they play.

What I don't understand is why I am suddenly not able to get the windows prompt when I insert a cd. Is there no auto fix that would place that prompt back?

I don't know how to fix this. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
autoplay has been disabled because if a cd had malware on it...it would install behind your back without any user input...
we started out with the cd drive malfunctioning and now we are switching to autoplay... :confused: :confused: :confused:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Well, I recently went through several steps in the Malware section of Geeks. Gammo had me run the OTL and several other things and thought I was clear. He told me to let him know if anything else happened, so I posted this problem of ejecting to him, and he told me I would be better off asking about his problem in your forum and provided me with this link.

So now I am confused where to ask for help, and exactly what is wrong with my computer. You can tell I don't know much about them. So any help you can give would be appreciated.

So I am not sure what you mean about "switching to autoplay" ??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you started this topic about the cd drive ejecting the cds on its own...
then it went to

I just tried to play a music cd, and I did not get a prompt window.

that implies the disk did not eject...it just failed to start playing the cd
these are 2 completely different issues...
both are easy fixes...the first is to replace the cd drive...it will solve the ejecting issue
the 2nd is to right click on the cd drive when it has a music cd in it and select open with media player

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ok, thanks. Like I said, I can get it to play, but it would be nice to have the autoplay window again. Do you think I should again go to the malware dept. in Geeks to Go to see if there is still a virus that might be causing it to eject? I am confused on where to ask for help now. Or is there way I can restore that autoplay?

Advertisements

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
To enable autoplay go into my computer right click and select properties and click on the tab that says autoplay and enable autoplay there

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

To enable autoplay go into my computer right click and select properties and click on the tab that says autoplay and enable autoplay there

I did that, and the system properties tabs only include ..system restore/auto updates/general/computer name/hardware/advanced. I opened each one, and I did not see the term "autoplay" anywhere. Did I do it wrong? Thanks.

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok try this press window + e to bring up windows explorer right click on the cd/DVD drive click on properties and click on the autoplay tab

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I managed to find something called "autofix" on my computer, so I ran the wizard for the drive, and it started working!! Yay!. Now I just have to figure out what makes it eject when it is not supposed to.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I just have to figure out what makes it eject when it is not supposed to.

thats how they act when they get old...everything mechanical wears out...replace the drive and that problem will go away with the old drive...the new one is $15.00