Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new pc need help.

• Please log in to reply

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So I can use electrical tape to cover those nubs for peace of mind and it will not effect the motherboard being so close? I just want to be sure if I get my new board tomorrow and hook things up, NOT THE FLOPPY CABLE, and it all works I am going to want to install in the case again. I will be powering everything outside the case first. I hope this second board frying didn't effect anything else like cpu etc. It didn't the first time but I have been having a terrible time with this.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
hope this works.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Tape will be OK. Your PSU is good.

Downland you PSU manual, > http://www.corsair.c...wer-supply.htmlYou will forgive us if we seem a bit a*** a*****
It has a EPS12v power cable, (8 pin plug, 4+4) connect to the ATX 12v power connector. no 1, red highlight. Connect the 24 pin connector to no 9, red highlight. connect the CPU fan plug to no 6, Blue highlight. Do not use no 5, blue highlight, for case fans.
You Mobo has 7 screw points, make sure there are only 7 stand offs in the right pattern. (the holes top and bottom, on the right hand side of the board are not screw holes.

Please re read posts 10 an 12, if ever thing is not clear, please let us know before proceeding.

Edit spelling.

Edited by iammykyl, 30 June 2012 - 03:42 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is a most definite confirm as my colleague has said

CPU Fan Connectors Please connect the CPU fan (4-pin CPU_FAN1) cable to the connector and (see p.12 No. 6) match the black wire to the ground pin.

Though this motherboard provides 4-Pin CPU fan (Quiet Fan) support, the 3-Pin CPU fan still can work successfully even without the fan speed control function.

If you plan to connect the 3-Pin CPU fan to the CPU fan connector on this motherboard, please connect it to Pin 1-3.

The floppy power connector from the PSU as again my colleague has said, supplies power, rather than the fan connector DRAWING power from the motherboard to supply the fan.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Before installing the CPU and the heat-sink, the mating surfaces must be cleaned of old thermal paste. I always use Isopropyl alcohol, mine obtained from a Drug Store, or use a kit like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 do not use things like petrol, nail varnish, rubbing alcohol.

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll pick up some alcohol. I'm still waiting on new board and power to come back on. I am banking on it being me killing the boards by plugging in the floppy power and not any other hardware. I'm gonna tape those things for piece of mind. Hopefully all goes well with this gigabyte 970a-ud3 I think is the model.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did the CPU and cooler come as a boxed package.
If so thermal paste is usally pre applied.
Not that this will help NOW but for your future knowledge

and as we have both said - if you connected POWER IN to a power OUT on the motherboard - you may most certainly presume that is the cause

WHERE there are fan connections on the motherboard - they are power OUT to the fan

The only time the PSU is used for a FAN is when the fan is run directly from the PSU and is NOT controlled by the system
That is NEVER the case with the CPU fan, or indeed on that motherboard that you had any of the fans.

ALSO to save me reading the whole topic again - do not forget the power connection for the graphics card, it will I am sure have its own power supply direct from the PSU rather than drawing power solely from the board

wzulauf

wzulauf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yea im fine on everything else it was that obvious over sight of me thinking that was a fan controller for the psu. Not reading directions to be sure was dumb on my part.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Even the best of us boob at times. Ever made a brew of tea and forgotten to put tea in the pot?
Please let us know the results of the rebuild.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
And from me my best wishes for a successful build with the new board.

Advertisements