Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x80070057 - wrong parameter for backing up Win7

• Please log in to reply

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Win7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit Pentium R Dual Core CPU 4gb RAM - IE9
Present PC is 12 mths old and worked perfectly till 2 weeks ago when it presented problems with back-up. I've already tried several 'cures' suggested via links by MS, anti-virus and malware scans - I already know the system is bugfree but did it anyway. Tried a clean-boot which went well but didn't help the problem.

Monthly backups are normally stored on an external disk and include a disk image. This apparently has gone wrong somehow. Backup is no longer recognising the external drive I allocated for the bckup destinations a year ago. I wondered if it was the external drive at fault - it may well be, I don't know for sure. I've since removed the external drive. Made no difference to backup - it still wants a cd which I inserted but it didn't complete the task. I've almost run out of restore points - last one was 8 days old. Attempts to use a CD for backup fail by not fully completing.

Attempted to reset the external drive K parameters but PC stubbornly calls it DVDRW and asks for a CD. Just not recognising the parameters. MADDENING!

Used a recommended fix-it-for-me but no difference there either. I did a Disk Cleanup and MS Safety scanner download from MS links. PC is very clean - it usually is, but I did it anyway.

Tried the CMD in DOS suggested and found an anomally there: parameters were not as expected in the link example. "Users\multimedia/dir/al/s Volume in drive C has no label" "" Volume serial no. is FOD1-ACD7 - 0 files 0 bytes.

Disconnected the external drive but changing the DVDRW setting for backup is nigh impossible.

I do hope someone can come up with a solution for me. Thank you. OTL attached

Wynn_M

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Attempts to use a CD for backup fail by not fully completing.

It appears doubtful to me if you could use a CD for backup as of course you would be limited to 700 odd Mb

I've already tried several 'cures' suggested via links by MS

Would you please list what you have tried and does that include the possible change of the decimal symbol in region and language

Does this mean please

I've almost run out of restore points - last one was 8 days old.

that you have tried system restore

When you go Control Panel Backup and restore is the external drive shown as an available option on there

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello Mr Mac
Thank you for your prompt response to my dilemma. I did mention a few of the self help tasks offered by MS but nothing quite hit the spot. Friday evening I made one more attempt to make a backup and the message was a bit different can't exactly bring it to mind now but it gave me the idea that it may be administrative.

Checked out the advanced properties of all drives to find two that didn't match the majority regarding user rights. It was rather bold of me, but I figured that access/user rights should be the same on all drives. That was done and rebooted - I was rewarded with a full backup on the external drive complete with image. Yahoo!

I am the culprit here which brings me to the aggravating admin popup challenges when I open anything on the PC. As the administrator, I reckon I'm boss so tried to do something about it by changing user rights to my advantage. This was quite a few weeks ago, then forgotten about. My attempts didn't make any difference anyway. However, I obviously made the situation worse trying to get rid of a guest user by switching it off.

The annoyance persists so could you please advise me how to rectify my latest blunder. I should be able to open programs without being challenged. No use being boss if you don't know what you're doing eh? I would appreciate your guidance.

Wynn_M

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On Vista and windows 7 you are not of course the administrator, you are a user with administrative rights.

If it were not for the extra protection offerred by the User Account Control and other system security methods, then the normal user account with admin rights would of course have full permissions for everything - leading to security weaknesses.

Unless I misunderstand you the pop-up is the normal behaviour, when opening programs and is the standard security check.

HOWEVER if you consider that there is behaviour which is not the normal you have experienced then the answer is either
1. create an other user account with admin rights and see if that account behaves the same as yours.

2. Enable the hidden built in TRUE administrator account
Go windows button
type
cmd
when that appears above right click and click run as admin
at the cmd prompt type
net user administrator /active:yes

key enter
type
exit
key enter

Reboot and test that account.
to return to the status quo - do NOT leave the system admin account enabled type the same cmd but with the change to no from yes

Not all programs require admin permission other than that granted by the user account with admin rights.
If you right click the program in the list and then click run as admin, you will be presented with the permissions window there.

If you right click and click properties and then the security tab you will see the different permissions for the various accounts

Also check setings in UAC Control Panel User Accounts - change user account control settings - is it on default or has it been changed to the high level - there are four settings available.

I apologise if I have missed the actual point you are asking, but I think on the evidence you are only experiencing what is standard on windows 7.
If I have misundertsood please explain further

You will find on the web many suggestions for changing this behaviour MY STRONG ADVICE is do not even consider them.

This Microsoft topic deals with most of the issues surrounding this matter
http://answers.micro...f5-b334b236a5e3

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
excuse me for jumping in here but what do you mean by this...

which brings me to the aggravating admin popup challenges when I open anything on the PC. As the administrator, I reckon I'm boss so tried to do something about it by changing user rights to my advantage.

can you click on start type in UAC...select it from the results above and get a screenshot for us...

Attached Thumbnails

• uac.jpg

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I had a look at the MS Answers link and, boy there were 100's of irritated people complaining about the security challenge popup. That on its own should wake MS up and do something about it. I take your point about it just being a built in Win7 normal behaviour. So, we just have to live with it until ..........

Unfortunately the CMD task you set for me didn't make any difference either. I accept its just normal behaviour. The UAC is normally set to default but I have tested behaviours on different levels of UAC security - no significant difference really except for some internet game links - as for PC links, there are no more challenges there.

I am delighted with the results of the backup saga. I guess its worth checking out admin rights initially when things go wrong with programs - PC is backing up on schedule to the correct link to the external drive.

I have some answers to your question quotes:
Yes, you are right about not being able to use CD for backup - it was a last pitiful resort for me.

Yes, the MS suggestions did include the dot decimal point - I checked it and found it OK. No probs.

MS suggestions = Disk Cleanup: Virus/antiMalware scan. Download MS Safety Scanner: Links for other 0x800700...kb fault links: various FAQ's on the subject. I studied the links and learned a few things.

The only thing that stabilised the PC was changing/correcting the admin rights via advanced link on the external and other drives, and that was due to a lightbulb moment while studying one of the popup fault notifications.
Wish I could remember what it was that alerted me!!

You mentioned sys restore points: I used several previous restore points and the last I used - from 3/5 weeks ago was the best. The external drive was not shown as an option. Trying to backup with Sys Restore at the time was not completing the task. Once the external drive's admin was put right the PC was more stable.
I set a scheduled backup an hour in advance on the external drive and it performed perfectly. System Restore OK

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying.
I am not certain if you consider the points you raised have been resolved, although it was indeed you, yourself that solved the backup issue.

If you at anytime do consider that matters are not right please do of course come back.

It is possible for problems to arise, with user account permissions, but these are more usually apparent when you still cannot perform a function, albeit you aggree it on the pop-up window asking for permission.

The standard test is then to create another user account and see if that performs correctly.

Please just reply at your convenience to indicate if you feel there is a need to continue, at the present time, or if we may consider the issue completed, at the present time.

Thank you

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for your attention to my problems and I have noted your advice.

I intend to schedule a cleanup just before the monthly scheduled backup is due and that should be enough
to keep both the PC and myself happy. I realise you and the army of techs in GTG have a lot to contend with. I had great assistance from GTG just over a year ago when I had an old Win XP PC. It lasted a few months more.

Best Wishes to you and the team
Wynn_M

PS the blue +Like link doesn't seem to work, I DO LIKE :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks again
Did not know the link was not working thank you for letting us know