Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a backup boot image

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have two ~1 TB hardrives, with Windows 7 installed on my C:/ drive. I've used my other drive (F:/) as a backup for data, which I've done by running SyncBack periodically on selected folders.

However, I'm wondering if there is a way to install Windows 7 onto my backup harddrive, so that if C:/ ever fails, I'd have the option of booting from my backup harddrive.

Can this be done, without creating an image of my ENTIRE C:/ harddrive? When I try and use the Windows Backup utility, it tries to copy ALL my data, which I don't necessarily want.

Thanks for the help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Can this be done, without creating an image of my ENTIRE C:/ harddrive? When I try and use the Windows Backup utility, it tries to copy ALL my data, which I don't necessarily want.

a image is just that...a complete copy of the drive so if you ever need it you boot from the recovery disk you created
(you did create one right) then click on restore from a image...

I have 2 hard drives I rotate the images to...one one week the other the next week...I delete all but the 2 newest images on both drives as they start getting full...both those drives need to be kept offsite so if a catastrophe ever happens like a fire you don't lose your systems and the backup at the same time...