Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive Trouble/ Error

• Please log in to reply

cbailey249

cbailey249

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I got a new hard drive today, and after trying to install the recovery discs that Best Buy gave me four years ago, the process stops on the second disc at about 63% and gives me an error message that reads "Error 0x4001100200001005" with a second line that reads "If this continues, please contact HP Support." I'd really rather not talk to them if I can avoid it. Just like trying these recovery discs on the new hard drive, I got the same kind of error message (not sure if it was the exact same) when I tried the discs on the old hard drive that turned out to be dead and needed a replacement. Any insight or help on this would be greatly appreciated, as this whole thing has been giving me trouble for over a month now.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
make and model of the computer...
size of the old hard drive...
size of the new hard drive...
what OS and is it 32 or 64 bit
is one of the recovery cds labeled drivers and the other operating system

cbailey249

cbailey249

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The computer is a HP dv6700. The old and new hard drive are 250 GB. The OS was Windows Vista and it was 32 bit. And the recovery CD's are just labeled Recovery disc 1, 2, and 3.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you slave the new drive to a different computer and format it to a ntfs file system...
do not use the quick format option if offered
then put it back in the other system and styart the install all over again

kung lao

kung lao

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi. I'm no pro at this stuff but I have a friend who had a similar problem and I tried secure erases and full formats but nothing worked. Not even a different HDD. In the end, what I did was; start the installation on a different machine and when windows asks to reboot the first time, I switched the HDD over to the hp laptop.

NOTE: not sure if this will work for you. Not sure if it is safe. Both machines were hp but different models. Also I did not ell my friend what I did until about a month after but everything is working fine on the machine.

Hope this helps. Cheers