Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Distorted...

• Please log in to reply

thailen

thailen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have an ACER Notebook PC with 2 speakers and an HDMI cable connected to my large-screen HD TV. I has a Windows 7 Home OS and a cable modem for my Internet connection. Yesterday I noticed while clicking on a Forbidden Knowledge web site, the video produced a distorted sound so bad I couldn't listen. I tried other web sites, attachments(with sound) to received E-mails, disconnecting the speakers, checking the connections in Control Panel and all seemed to be functioning correctly, except for the distortion, which was relentless, without exception.
What to do to fix it?

Advertisements

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Have you checked in the device manager to see if there is any problem there

thailen

thailen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yep, no problems on any of system components, specifically on the sound components

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Try unplug the speakers from your laptop and see if sound is distorted in your laptop speakers

thailen

thailen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I removed the add-on speakers from the PC and the PC's own speakers produced the same distortion...

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Does it happen when you play music CDs

Computerpete

Computerpete

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
If it does the same when you play music CDs it could be a driver problem in that case you need to reinstall the driver for you sound card

thailen

thailen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
After trying everything you and others suggested, I turned the PC off and back on and Guess What? The distortion disappeared. Who knows how it happened and what changed it?
Thanks for your suggestions...