Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Charging + Ethernet Controller

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello

I am currently having a problem with my computer.
When the laptop is on, if I plug in the charger, it doesn't charge...it says it does but the % doesn't go up.
It does charge while the laptop is off.
I have just noticed that when it is plugged in, there is something that say it is an Ethernet Controller, and when I disconnect the charger it says you can safely remove the Ethernet Controller.
But sure this is wrong.
I have tried uninstalling the "Device" from device manager when then charger is in, but as soon as I take it out and plug it back in, it installs as an Ethernet Controller.
Has anyone got any suggestions what the [bleep] this could be?
Thank in advance =D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi joesquire

You may have a short circuit somewhere in the system, is the AC adapter port on the notebook secure.
What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook and how old is it please.

I have just noticed that when it is plugged in, there is something that say it is an Ethernet Controller, and when I disconnect the charger it says you can safely remove the Ethernet Controller.
But sure this is wrong.
I have tried uninstalling the "Device" from device manager when then charger is in, but as soon as I take it out and plug it back in, it installs as an Ethernet Controller.

The only way to stop a hardware device reinstalling permanently is to physically remove the component from the system but this is not always possible for example if the component is integrated into the MB.
Have you tried disabling (not uninstalling) the Ethernet Controller in either the BIOS or the Device Manager.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello

The laptop is HP 6510B (if theres anymore you want just ask) and the age im not too sure but it has a bios date of 2007 i think. Im unsure because I bought it cheap off ebay.

Yes the adaptor port is solid.

Obviously I can't remove any of the ports as they are all on the motherboard

I will try and disable instead of uninstalling and see what happens

Thanks!

Edited by joesquire, 24 June 2012 - 05:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

As the battery and charger are potentially 5yrs old they may be showing signs of wear and tear with the battery being most likely to have issues first due to repetitive charging over the years.
Are the battery and charger both genuine HP products and what happens if you remove the battery and use only the AC adapter to power the notebook.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Yes both are genuine HP.

If i take the battery it runs as normal with the power in, but theres a red cross over the battery which as far as i know is expected.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Just to clarify, with the battery removed there is no problem with the Ethernet controller, yes the red X is normal.
Checking the battery http://h20239.www2.h.../battery_ts.htm

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Well when i plug in the adaptor (with battery in) it comes up in device manager as "broadcom ethernet controller" and then when i unplug it, it disappears. It also makes the system sound of plugging in and unplugging usb devices.
Also when I remove the power cable it says "you can safely remove the ethernet controller"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Very odd behavior but power issues can be, have you disabled the device by right clicking on it in the Device Manager, let us know what the battery check reveals.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
yes it is disabled in device manager.
the battery check has showed up that it needs calibrating, is it worth following the instructions to do this?

Edited by joesquire, 24 June 2012 - 06:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Yes for the best performance calibrate the battery and avoid using the AC adapter and battery both attached over a prolonged period as this reduces battery life.

Advertisements

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
Well it has been calibrated now and there has been less than an hours charge on it haha! (and thats fully charged)
It still doesn't charge while on though.
Any other ideas? haha

UPDATE: The reason the laptop charger brought up stuff with regards to the network adaptor, was because of power saving measures, i have now sorted out that problem, and it no longer connects & disconnects because of the power.

I am still having the problem where the charger will charge for a bit and then stop, the battery will only go up 1% while charging then stops.

Edited by joesquire, 25 June 2012 - 07:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Can you borrow a replacement battery and/or charger?
If not then I suggest that you get the battery and charger tested by a local tech or store such as PC World or Maplin as genuine replacement parts are expensive and it could be one or the other with the issue.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I cant borrow on ebut i have been in touch with the people i bought it from and they are going to send me a replacement battery, so i will update you on what happens with regards to that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
That is reasonable of them so with any luck the issue will hopefully be resolved quickly for you.

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello
Thank you for all of your help but I have now had enough of the laptop so it is being sent back to the seller.
Thanks again :thumbsup: