Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black bar appeared - middle of laptop screen.

• Please log in to reply

5emini

5emini

• Pip
  • 4 posts
bar.jpg

The basics:

-Toshiba Qosmio laptop.
-Not connected to the internet at all.
-Problem happened while I was working/typing (I saw it happen).
-No physical damage to the laptop has ever occurred, I am the original owner. (No falls/drops, spills, etc.)

The problem:

-Black bar appeared vertically across the screen, and all colors instantly became distorted (As if I'd used a filter on a picture). It looks similar to a negative image/reversal of colors.

I've tried:

-I ran a full virus scan (took hours), I restarted it, I put it into hibernation and 'woke' it. Still have the same problem.
-It's not the screen resolution as my cursor can access both sides of the black bar. I can drag windows through the bar to either side of the screen.

How would I fix this, please?

Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: 5emini

Can you connect the notebook to an external screen by way of the VGA port and see if the issue is reproduced on the other screen.
You may need to press the Fn + the F5 keys down together to toggle to external screen mode.

Let us know how the above goes please.

5emini

5emini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and your friendly greeting. It seems it's a problem with the laptop screen.

When I display on both the laptop and desktop simultaneously, the difference between the two screens is striking.

I've added photos. The top screen is the feed from the VGA port (Normal), the bottom screen is the laptop (Abnormal).

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Should I bring it in for repairs? If I leave it the way it is and keep using it, can it get worse?

Thank you.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi 5emini, you are welcome and thank you for the photos :thumbsup:

This may be a problem with the motherboard to screen display cable/ribbon as they can come loose or
become damaged from nothing more than opening and closing the lid of the notebook, can you provide us
with the exact model number of the Qosmio so we can do some research, it may be something like x770
or x870, just so you are aware repairing a notebook is not a task that the average user should attempt
so unless you are confident enough then yes you may require the services of a local tech, our research findings
should help you decide which you want to do.

5emini

5emini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

Thank you very much for your help.

The bottom reads: Toshiba Qosmio G20 Model No. PQG20C-XG602E

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem of something being loose, but in the last 10 days or so, it has begun to show some odd symptoms.

I'm not trying to take up any more of your time as I can live with the other things, I'm only concerned about the display.

I thought that perhaps the extra information can help point you toward the problem.

-It doesn't always recognize that it is plugged into the wall. I have to jiggle the connection (where the cord meets the back of the computer) to ensure that it is getting power.
-The battery will go from 100% full to an immediate drop to 3%, even though it is plugged in the wall outlet. It is never used on battery power alone. (This machine is huge and heavy, so I basically use it as a desktop.)
-It has been uncharacteristically overheating and shutting itself down instantly when it gets too hot. (I've turned up the cooling system and turned down the screen brightness and some of the 'extras' like music players. This seems to cool it down and it doesn't need to shut itself off any longer.)
-The sound of the fans on the left side occasionally sound like they may be running roughly or jamming on something, but then fix themselves after 30 seconds or so (This has only happened a few times). I've tried to clean/flush the vents with air.

Thank you again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi
You have a number of issues going on here that will require a partial dismantle of the notebook, see below;

It doesn't always recognize that it is plugged into the wall. I have to jiggle the connection (where the cord meets the back of the computer) to ensure that it is getting power

If the power jack has come away from the MB it will cause various problems such as a system short and overheating.

The battery will go from 100% full to an immediate drop to 3%, even though it is plugged in the wall outlet. It is never used on battery power alone. (This machine is huge and heavy, so I basically use it as a desktop.)

The battery and AC adapter should not be used together for long periods of time as it will bring the battery to a premature end of life which is partially what you are seeing now.

The display issue is a well documented one http://www.laptoprep...chip-repair.htm

An example of what you may need to replace http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2570d9ed07 (video ribbon only though)

The sound of the fans on the left side occasionally sound like they may be running roughly or jamming on something, but then fix themselves after 30 seconds or so (This has only happened a few times).

This also needs checking asap because if the CPU fan fails it will fry your processor.

I've tried to clean/flush the vents with air.

This has probably helped save your notebook from complete failure so well done.

A guide to help with checking all of the above and a thorough cleaning out of heat trapping dust http://www.irisvista...ling-fans-1.htm

5emini

5emini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks very much for all your help. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are most welcome :thumbsup:
Please keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions give us a shout.