Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't log into my Administrator Account!

• Please log in to reply

JamesDs

JamesDs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, I have a problem which I have no idea how to fix.
I have another Window's Vista computer (It's a Compaq), and like in the topic, I can't log in.
I don't have any of the CD's/DVDs that came with the computer, nor did I make a Password Reset Disc.
I do have an account which I can log on, but it isn't an Administrator. Now, I have no problem deleting everything on the computer, because I've got nothing important on there. I'm on a tight budget, so I can't really take it anywhere to have somebody work on it, and all that. Another thing is I don't have CD burning ability's now,I have looked something up about downloading some program and what not, but it didn't answer my question. If somebody could help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
James.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the model number? Did it come with a Recovery partition on the hard drive? If so you should be able to restore it to it's factory new state by pressing some combination of keys during boot. Which keys varies with each manufacturer.

The manual for your specific system will tell you which one and it will be available from the HP Support web site: HP Support & Drivers

JamesDs

JamesDs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

What is the model number? Did it come with a Recovery partition on the hard drive? If so you should be able to restore it to it's factory new state by pressing some combination of keys during boot. Which keys varies with each manufacturer.

The manual for your specific system will tell you which one and it will be available from the HP Support web site: HP Support & Drivers

Like I said, I have nothing that came with the computer. If I do restore to factory settings, will it delete all accounts/passwords/etc? I'd have to look at the Model number later, the computer is at my other house at the moment.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you use the built in Recovery Partition then you will lose all data as it will format the hard drive during the install process. From your first post it didn't sound like that mattered:

Now, I have no problem deleting everything on the computer, because I've got nothing important on there.

Once you do this, you will need to download and install Vista SP1 and SP2 then all updates.

JamesDs

JamesDs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Once you do this, you will need to download and install Vista SP1 and SP2 then all updates.

You're right it doesn't matter, I was just making sure it would delete all the things I need in order to have an Administrator account. About the updates however, All of them will just be available to download once I reboot my system, correct? Or will I need to get them somehow? I apologize for being a nuisance, I am not what you call a computer whiz. :upset:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You may have a problem

The answer will lie with what my colleague Ztruker has asked.

MODEL NUMBER - we need this to accurately advise you.

See the link - if the computer was orignally xp - the recovery will be to XP, if indeed the recovery partition still exists

http://h10025.www1.h...c=us&dlc=en#N80

JamesDs

JamesDs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The answer will lie with what my colleague Ztruker has asked.

MODEL NUMBER - we need this to accurately advise you.

Good news, I have gotten to my house and gotten the Model Number. :thumbsup:
Model Number:SR5237CL
Hope this helps.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
According to the manual, you press F11 at boot to enter the Recovery Manager ...

System recovery at system startup
If Windows Vista is not responding, but the computer is
working, use these steps to perform a system recovery:
1 Turn off the computer. If necessary, press and hold
the On button until the computer turns off.
2 Disconnect all peripheral devices from the
computer, except the monitor, keyboard, and
mouse.
3 Press the On button to turn on the computer.
4 Immediately, when you see the initial company
logo screen appear, press the F11 key on your
keyboard repeatedly until the Recovery Manager
window appears.
5 Click Advanced options.
6 In the Advanced options window, click System
recovery , and then Next.
7 Click No to back up files (if you have already
done so), and then click Next.
System recovery begins. Af ter system recovery is
complete, the computer restarts.
8 Complete the registration process, and wait until
you see the desktop.
9 Turn off the computer, reconnect all peripheral
devices, and turn the computer back on.
10 Perform the procedure “Performing the
post-recovery procedure” on page 27.
NOTE: System recovery deletes all data and
programs that you created or installed after purchase.
Therefore, ensure you back up any data that you want
to keep onto a removable disc.